Century Beast Chapter Two- Walking In a Winter Wonderland

I was all alone the next morning. Mum and Dad were out on a personal vacation to get time off from stress and work. I didn’t care. They deserved it.

I sat up in bed and pondered on what I would do today. I had dance at three, but it was only 9:30.

I decided to go to my thinking place. I got on with my morning routine and left into the woods.

Maybe I’ll see him again. I thought to myself as I walked.

I thought about the boy as I walked to the clearing. I looked at the small pond as saw the large cracks that were spread like fingers across the entire thing. A thin layer of ice was already frozen on it but it was still not sturdy enough. I walked to the hiding place and when I arrived next to the chest were my skates, neatly propped against the chest.

I went over to the chest and put away the skates and looked through the stuff. I didn’t know what to do. All my mind was thinking about was the boy.

Damn it. I got to stop calling him the boy. I need to know his name! How was I so dumb to forget to ask his name?  I scolded myself.

I heard a deep chuckled in front of me. I looked up and saw the boy. He smiled a little. I wish he looked happier. His sad eyes made me sad and I just wanted to get him to smile meaningfully.

“You look deep in thought.” He said in a normal voice. It was much different than the murmurs and whispers he sent me last night. His voice was silky, husky, deep, rich and honeyed at the same time. It made me forget about his name.

“I don’t know what to do.” I confessed

“Come with me.” He suggested.

I thought about it. Now that I think about it, I don’t know him. I don’t even know his name. I never have seen him before. Yes, he saved my life but can I trust him still. Maybe it was a trick.

These thoughts were my human instinct.  They were just a whisper. Well compared to what everything else in me was screaming.

I remembered what Flower always said when I was battling over something. She would say “Listen to the part that screams louder.” It always turned out alright when I listened to myself like she told me to.

I finally stood up and he held out his hand. That’s when I notice he was only in a t-shirt, a light jacket, jeans. What he was wearing did not match the weather. It was very cold, probably twenty to thirty degrees below zero. But when I finally took his hand I realized why. He skin was like when you sit by a fire and your face felt like you had just kissed it, but it was ten times the warmth of that. But it didn’t burn or feel sick. It was… sort of comforting.

I walked close by him, feeling his warmth radiate off of him.

We walked through the forest, silently admiring the glittery white scene. It was beautiful. I felt as if it were the setting straight out of a fantasy novel or movie. Animals were prancing about on their daily routines. Squirrels and chipmunks peered out of their homes and deer frolicked away. A doe and a yearling stood together as the mother dug her nose into the snow finding patches of grass underneath to eat.

The doe caught sight of us and stood tall, protecting her baby that was now behind her.  The boy nudged me behind him and everything stood still and silent for just a moment, but then the doe and the fawn moved away looking for more grass.

We, soon, came to a river and stopped. He let go of me and sprung over to the other side with his long legs. I looked at the river and grimaced. I was short. I wasn’t going to be able to get over that in a stride and if I jumped I would slip on the ice. He reached over to me and opened his arms. I knew I could trust him so I walked into his arms and he lifted me over. But instead of putting me down on the other side he carried me.

I giggled and secured my arms around his neck, as he slung me to his back. I realized he was heading back in a large circle back toward my home.  That made me a little disappointed because that meant we would have to part ways.

Suddenly there was a menacing howl close by and the boy frozen and looked back. I squeezed him but he took me off his back.

He took my hand and he briskly led me on.

Soon we were home. I checked the clock.

2:48.

“Uh-oh.” I said and hurried upstairs to get my dance bag. I made sure I had everything and then I ran back downstairs nearly running into the boy at the foot of the stairs.

He took my hand and we went to the car.  He took my bag and opened the door for me. I slid in and he put the bag on the back seat and got in and drove me to the dance studio.

He parked up close and I opened the door and looked at him.

He got out and met me on my side, handing me my keys.

“Thank you, for everything. Today was fun.”

“No problem.”

“Can we do it again?” I asked.

He chuckled and nodded.

Flower was already inside and she was knocking on the window and waving me to come in. I noticed the curious glances she gave when she saw the boy.

The boy looked down at me and I knew it was time to leave. I went inside and to the girls changing hall, were Flower was still looking out the window.

“Who was that hunk?” she giggled.

I rolled my eyes and changed. Once I was changed we made our way to the gym sized studio.  The walls were covered in mirrors and rails. Over the mirrors was glass where people could watch the dances.

Dance was the same as always.

“Straighten you legs more in the jump!” She would yell. “No! Do it again”, “Do you hear me when I say that you need to work harder than everyone else. You don’t have a dancers body”, “AGAIN”, “KEEP THAT STUPID PASSION TO A MINIMUM!”  

All the same, well except for the end of class. We all stood around Mrs. Jane as she gave us some news.

“As you all know the recital is coming up, next Friday, and we need to practice hard. But what you don’t know is that some people from the acceptance board from Julliard will be attending to hand scholarships and acceptances.” Mrs. Jane announced.

“This is no competition but I would like all of you to try your hardest if you are looking for dance to be your future carrier. But that is all. I will see you all tomorrow for practice. Especially you, Rosalynd.” She finished pointing at me.

We all dispersed and I peaked up to the glass balcony that was over the studio where friends and family could look over on the lesson and practices. I spotted him watching me. He smiled, winked and then disappeared into the darkness of the room.

I drove home alone and when I got home I undressed and went to bed for a nice, long nap.