Century Beast Chapter Eight- Back with Flower

I pulled into Flower’s driveway with Hunter sitting quietly beside me. He looked at me and smiled nervously. I grabbed his hand and held it in mine before bringing it to my lips and kissing the back of it.

“Be right back.” I smiled and hopped out and hurried to the front door. I knocked on the door. Soon the door opened to a tired and disorderly, Jessie. She wore an oversized white t-shirt that was lop-sided and hug off her shoulder and that’s it. She rubbed her eyes and let her hand drop limply to her side.

“Hey?” she said, unexpected by my presents.

“I know I have no right to ask you help right now and I have been and am a suckish friend, so now I am coming clean because I feel really guilty for leaving you hanging. You’re my best friend and I love you and you’re the greatest and I’ll owe you forever.” I smiled innocently at the end.

“Do I get to met Mr. Mysterious-Hunkie-Dude?” She asked in a tired sluggish voice that was muffled for her barely open mouth.

“Of course. He’s in the car.”

“Okay, bring him in while I get some pants.” She smiled tiredly and waddled away.

I ran to my truck and opened Hunter’s door. He stepped out and gave me a nervous look. I took his hand and smiled at him reassuringly.

“She doesn’t bite but I think I need to tell her. I know this is your secret and I am in no position to tell her. But she is my best and only friend and I have practically abandoned her and I feel like I at least owe her a good explanation. We vowed when we were kids that we’d never let a guy get between us and- I’m sorry, Hunter.” I huffed, leaning my forehead against his shoulder.

“We’re in this together, remember? So this is your secret as much as it is mine and I already told you that you can address me as anything to your friends and family.” He thought to me, kissing the side of my head.

I nodded and we walked into the house with him glued to my side. I took his hand trying to calm him and Flower came out with some ripped jeans, the same droopy white shirt and hair tied into a messy ponytail.

“Flower, this is Hunter. Hunter this is Flower slash Jessie, my best friend.” I introduced. Hunter smiled pleasantly at Flower and Flower smiled tiredly back.

“It’s nice to meet you. So you need a tux. It’s for the recital, right?” Flower asked. Hunter nodded and we went into her room. She walked into her closet and went to the storage in the ceiling and took out a big box. It was her late brother’s special occasion box. I hurried in and stopped her.

“No, Flower, I know how much his stuff means to you. You don’t have to.” I assured.

“It’s alright. I have a lot of stuff from Dustin. He would love for you to be happy with Hunter there. I remember when he was in the hospital he had said that he wanted me to make sure you and I would be happy. That’s what I am doing. I am making you happy which makes me happy. You’re my best friend, Bambi, I love you and I know that Dustin most definitely did to. I saw it in his eyes. I am happy that you have moved on too, I know he is too.” She assured.

 I hugged her tight and helped her pull out the box. We set it down and she got all the needed stuff. After that, we went to wash and iron the tux and shirt and then I sent Hunter into the bathroom to put on the cloths.

I sat down on the couch with Flower and I took a breath to begin talking.

“I know I am going to sound like a mental case when I tell you all of this but its true and I know I can trust you. I know that I don’t have an excuse but I owe you an explanation.”

She nodded and I started.

“Hunter- He isn’t really normal. He-”

“He’s not skitzo, is he?”

I giggled, “No, he’s mute, well sort of.” I began.

“No wonder why he’s so quiet. I thought he was shy or he didn’t like me. But that’s no problem, but how does that keep you away?” She asked.

“There’s more. I know you’re going to hate me and think I am making ridiculous excuses but…. hesawerewolf!” I said quickly and flinched.

“Say what?”

I sighed, “He’s a werewolf.”

She didn’t say anything but look at me.

“I’m telling you he is and that’s the reason he can’t talk, he was cursed. He’s been helping me a home. He took care of me when I got hurt, he did errands for me. He’s a really wonderful man, Flower. The least I could do was stay with him last night.” I saw her face contort then realized what my words could have meant. “No, no, no, no I didn’t have- uh, sleep with him. It’s not like that. It was a full moon last night.”

“Oh. I don’t think I can believe you until I see it.” She said looking away looking around, a hinting gesture.  I laughed and nodded hugging her.

I got my Flower back.

“I love you, Bambi.”

“I love you too, Flower.”

At the moment, Hunter stepped out of the bathroom. We stood up and I couldn’t help but stare at how he looked. He was always a beautiful man but he looked amazing in the suit, Dustin’s suit.

Dustin was Flowers brother that had died in a car accident. He also had Leukemia which made his weak and therefore almost impossible for him to recover.  

Dustin was also my first love.