Chapter 8

Our lips connected again and again, his hungry kisses filling my empty heart.

"I love you." Cain whispers.

"I love you like a poet needs a pen." I say. Cheesy, I know. But I was desperate.

"What?" 

"Uh . . .Never mind." I say quickly, pulling in for another kiss. He holds me back. "Cain? Somethin' wrong?"

 "I was just thinking that for the top of English every single year, you seem to speak with a lot of slang."

"Does that really matter right now?"

"I think we should talk right now."

"About what?" I feel disappointment soar through me a like a raging wave.

"Your future."

"My future? What about our future?" Now I'm really confused.

"Your future because of what Satan plans to do this year." I sag heavily.

"I really was tryin' to forget about that."

"Sorry, but I really think you need to plan ahead."

"I'd rather take things when they hit me." Cain stood up, frustration clear on his face.

"You don't get it, do you? This isn't the sort of thing where you can't just wing it. This sort of thing requires planning."

"Since when did you become an expert on Satan ruinin' your life?" He had been looking at the window several times tonight, as if expecting something to fly in. Or someone.

"That's none of your business." He snapped.

"It is if I want to take your advice! I need to know it's a reliable source. So tell me," My voice had turned to ice, coldness filling the room sending shivers down my spine. "How are you such an expert?"

Calmly he said, "Since I stopped believing in God."

My heart stopped. "You . . . you are a follower of Satan?" I stammer, backing towards the door. 

"Yes." He said slowly approaching me as he shook his wings they changed from his ashy grey colour to pure black. They were no longer that angelic façade but instead torn and ragged old wings. They had no magesticness to them. The shadows of the room playing on his now dark soul.

"Why?" I whisper. "Why give up everything God gave you for Satan?" Disgust fills my words and my mouth.

"He knows one's potential! God overlooked mine when he rejected me. Twice, he's rejected me! But I've realised that Satan recognises me for who I am, unlike God who only sees who he wants to see." He spoke of Satan like he was the creator of time. 

"You yellow bastard!" I spit in his face. "To think I loved you!" My hands fumble with the door handle that is now locked. I shove against it with my shoulder, it almost falls off when Cain grabs me and throws me against the far wall. I never remember locking my door after I let Cain in. He approaches me as I've slumped to the floor. My world spinning, I vaguely recognise Cain's harsh voice in my head, his hands gripping my arms tightly as he binds my wrists with rope soaked in Angel tears. I scream, Cain tries to shoosh me when someone comes bursting through the doors. Thank God! It's a security guard.

"Get away from me!" Cain screeches like a banshee at the guard. The guard reaches for his tranquiliser.

"Let her go man. Let her go and I won't lock you up this time." Cain's eyes are calculating, I can see him deciding as more footsteps approach. He screams his anger and jumps on the window sill, stopping and turning to face me. His eyes almost white from the ice.