Chapter 4

I wave to my friends as they hop on the bus and leave. I check my watch. I still have five minutes before Mrs M wanted to meet me. I head to my locker and grab my things. I pass Hael and tell him to let the boarding mistress I'm meeting with Mrs M. Hael just shrugs but nods so I guess it's all taken care of. I walk up the steps to the drama room and knock on the door. No one answers, so I let myself in. I dump my bag near the door and look around, thinking Mrs M is further inside.

"Hello?" I call. "Mrs M?" Still no answer I creep behind the stage but the door is locked. "Hello?"

"Gaz?" I turn to see Mrs M standing at the door. "Sorry I'm late. Staff meeting about . . .today."

"Sure. What did you want to see me about?" I sit down on the edge of the stage as Mrs M paces in front of me. 

"Have you ever thought about what you wanted to be when you leave GAC?"

"Uh, I never really thought about it until I started taking drama. Since then, I guess I've hoped to do something in that line. But I also like to teach others new things,"

"So a drama teacher." She finished.

"That's right." I nod. "Why?"

"Well, considering the events of today and now that you have a spare, how would you like to come on a teaching experience with me in your spare lessons?"

"Really?"

"But you don't have to come every day, only when you can." She added quickly.

 "That'd be great!" I exclaim, excitement racing through my veins like a race car.

"Fantastic! It has already been arranged with my supervisor and Principal Tanner said it is alright with her."

"I think it'll help take things off my mind." I lose my perkiness quickly. "Forgive me language, but what a shitty day this has been." She tilted her head, curiously.

"Do explain." Mrs M hoists herself up onto the stage next to me and leans back.

"Well, I tripped up the stairs after home room. I was tied to a chair in drama," I thin my lips slightly. "Dr. Anthony insulted me twice referring to Satan and attacked me after assembly. And at lunch I couldn't open my locker. Apparently I made a fool of myself in assembly for saluting Miss Holly." I rub my hands over my face and feel tears threaten. Already. "How can one person have so much bad luck in one day?" I ask in disbelief. 

"Some things are just meant to be." She replies. "Are you going to cry, Gaz? I can sense it, don't be embarrassed. Let it all out." She says reassuringly. The tears come and I lower my head, thinking about my father, hoping he never knows about this. Mrs M places her arms around my shoulders and pulls me into an embrace. I sob into her until there are no more tears to be shed.

***

"Smooth Gaz, real smooth." I land heavily on my bed, throwing my pillow at my room mate and friend, Elemiah. 

"Oh, shut up." The pillows lands in her lap and she laughs at me. "I don't know how many times I need to tell you, it wasn't my fault!"

"Sure, sure. You had a real fun day today, right?" I ignore her and open my drama book, looking at the script that Mrs M wants me to read over. 

"Haven't you got work you could be doing?"

"Nope. Finished it all while you were talking to Mrs M." She tilted her head. "I can't believe she gave you homework on the first day!"

"It's not homework. I've got a spare now, so I'm going to be doing teaching experience. She wants me to read over this script and make some subtle changes so it can be given to the class."