Chapter 5

"Someone's happy all of a sudden." Elmiah observes after dinner.

"So? Since when did happiness become illegal?" I retort, my hair falling around my face.

"When do you become so chipper? Cute guy ask you out already?" I freeze, thinking about Cain but I shrug it off. 

"No. I'm just happy, alright. Is that so hard to understand?"

"Ooh, I know that face. You did get asked out by a cute guy."

"He didn't ask me out." I cup my hand over my mouth. Stupid! Stupid, stupid stupid! "No one asked me out." Shit. She'll know what that means.

"Hahaha!" She pointed at me, falling on her bed laughing so hard she was crying. "You kissed a guy on the first day of school!"

"Alright, fine. Look, don't tell anyone about it. At least not yet. Give it some time and I'll let you know when you can tell people."

"Who?" She ordered, nodding. "Tell me everything!"

"A new kid. Cain."

"Cain? That cute looking bad boy with the black hair and blue eyes? Gosh, I'm so jealous! He's so freaking cute!"

"Dibs." I say. She laughs harder. “I can't believe you friggin' kissed him! Already!"

"Neither can I. It just sort of happened. Under the tree on the grassy plain near the hall." She sighs wistfully and sprawls on her bed. 

"Goodnight." I end the conversation and turn my lamp off, rolling onto my side and trying to forget today's events. Most of them anyway.

***

"Sleep well, Gaz?" Amana teased. "I hear you had an eventful night. Your first kiss! How sweet!"

"What?" I play dumb.

"Don't be coy, Elemiah told me everything." My face went red with anger and I was shaking so hard. How could she?! I told her not to!!

"Elemiah!" I roared, storming up to her locker. "What the Hell do you think you're doing?!"

"Oh, Gaz! Hi! I was just telling the girls here - " 

"Exactly what I told you NOT to tell anyone!"

"I couldn't resist!"

"How many know?"

"What?"

"How many know? I want to know who you told!" I ordered, my voice raising to the top of the roof.

"At least half the school knows by now, Gazardiel." Hayyel's annoying voice teased me. I turned to glare into the eyes of the school bully. "It's quite sad, really. The first day over and you couldn't contain yourself. It's just as bad as they say your ancestor was. At least Satan hasn't claimed his love for you yet. I don't see how anyone could. You’re both slutty whores." She started to walk past, but all my anger at Elemiah and now her built up inside me. I lashed out, tripping her over.

She landed face first on the floor, growling, she rolled over, kicking my legs out from underneath me. I fall backwards, banging my head hard and things are slow and blurry. Her fist connected with my cheek several times, each blow making my head smash to the concrete. My vision was blurred and uncoordinated and I felt sick.

"Ladies!" Mrs M's voice came from the far end. Hayyel continued to blow her fist into my head, then I was yanked onto my feet and her fist met my gut. I kicked out viciously, sending her flying through the air. I stumble away, leaning on the locker for support. Mrs M ran over to Hayyel, but was shoved violently as Hayyel made her way over to me again. She swung her fist, but this time I ducked and charged into her. My force threw her to the ground, pinning her there until Mrs M could handle her.