Chapter 14

"What!?" Gabe choked on his water and Am's eyes widened larger than a plate. "Are you sure? It's been 22 years! It could be anyone!"

"I think I would recognise my own husband and son. I've lived with them for many years."

"I'm sorry, but the possibility that it is someone else is too great."

"Gaz, I think I know what my own husband and son look like, even if it's been 22 years. It's them. I know it is."

Before anyone could do or say anything, pain seared through me like a fire and I began shivering. I bit my lip against the pain but tears were threatening and I was on the verge of screaming. Mrs M then placed her hands around me, as if not to arouse suspicion from mortal onlookers. She has a gentle and warm grasp while strong and protective. The pain eventually subsided and I began sobbing, Mrs M never letting go. Once the tears were gone and I had the strength to stand on my own, I slowly pulled out of her embrace. She left her hands on my shoulders. 

"You alright?" She asked, concern oozing from her words. I nodded solemnly and took a step back. I flicked my head to remove the hair from my face and wiped my wet cheeks. I looked over at Am who was watching me silently, arms folded over her chest impatiently. Her face was blank and hard to read. I tried reaching out to her telepathically, but all I got was.

You're fine now, let's move on.

This wasn't the Am I knew and loved. She's changed and is acting differently since our fight. Usually she would be squeezing me so hard I couldn't breathe. Not this time. I see a look of pity flash in her eyes before I turn away, looking over the playgrounds of the school we stopped beside. 

"Where are you when I need you, daddy?" I didn't recognise my voice as I called for my long dead dad. I last remember fighting with him before he went off to War. Gabe's hands now grabbed my shoulders and gently guided me along the footpath as Mrs M and Am lead on. We continued around the corner and came to a small building that looked older than something like Notre Dame. The steps led down into the ground and a dark hallway went on for a few metres than a large, orange sign that read Harry's Halloween. All costumes, all quality! I gently shake off Gabe's hands and opened the door. 

I step inside and squeeze my eyes shut instinctively from the bright lights. I open one eye, and once I'm convinced it's fine, I open the other. The music playing over the speakers is calm and melodic, almost as if it was trying to put us in a trance. An odd choice for a Halloween supply store. I shake my head and move aside for Mrs M who waltzes in like she owns the place. Gabe cautiously trots in after her, whilst Am stays at the door, arms crossed and staring at the sign. I leave her and wander around the bright, cheery shop. I take the time to slowly walk down the aisles, and memories of my mortal life come flooding back to the Halloween that I should never have forgotten. 

"Trick or treat!" My friends call cheerily at the grouchy Mr. Edward crossing his arms at the door. I shrink back, hoping he wouldn't recognise my costume. He and my mom are friends and he was over the other day when mom was making it. He had scrutinised it harshly. 

"How many times do I tell you brats, get off my property! I do NOT celebrate Halloween!" He slammed the door on us and we just skipped away, unfazed by the grumpy Mr. Edward.

"Old sod should get a life. Where's his holiday spirit? Sense of adventure!" Luke said, laughing. 

"He's worse at Christmas. Mom always invites him over for Christmas dinner. Good God it's torture. Mom insists on inviting him because she feels bad that he has no family. All we hear from him is why Holidays are a waste of time, money and resources." I say, mimicking Mr Edward as he speaks. My friends laugh as we come to the crossroad.

Us. being naïve cross the road without looking, learn to check the road before crossing when a car suddenly comes speeding towards us. Harry, Mel and I get out of the way in time, but Luke is unfortunate as the car strikes him down. I stare wide mouthed  in horror as he rolls along the road and comes to an abrupt stop. His pumpkin full of candy is spilling and rolling away. Mel screams for help while Harry rushes over to his unmoving body.

An ambulance soon arrives, many residents rushing out of their houses to see what the commotion is all about. Mel and Harry walk with Luke while he is being rolled away on the gurney. Fear and shock have welded me to the ground. The flashing lights blind me as I fear the worst.

I remember getting the news of Luke's death the next morning. I never forgave myself.

"Gaz? You looking for something?" Gabe asks me sweetly as I stood at an Angel costume. I shake my head at the irony and keep walking, ignoring a smug looking Gabe. Mrs M raises her voice slightly, one of those rare moments, and I turn to see what the commotion is all about. I see Am now standing inside the shop, she too, startled by Mrs M's behaviour. I follow her eyes and see Mrs M arguing with the store manager.

"Mrs M, something the matter?" I approach the counter and look between Mrs M and the manager.

"Yes," She turns, anger in her eyes scaring me more. "This is Harry, our Earth contact. Before we went through the portal, I called and made sure they had what we need." She gestures to Harry angrily. "Now he's saying that they are sold out!" 

"What do yer mean, you're sold out?" I look at Harry. "If she called to make sure the stock was available it should still be here. Retail laws. Me mother was a shop owner." I stride towards the end of the counter, near a storage door. I motion my head towards it. "Mind?" Harry hesitated then shook his head. I slowly and cautiously open the door and step in. The darkness engulfed me as I moved my hand up and down the wall, looking for the light switch. I find it and flick it on.

I find a bow labelled "On Hold" and know that it is the box meant for us. I didn't even hear Mrs M come stand beside me as I open it. As planned, a vile of Angel Tears, Angel Blood and an Angel Bone are packed securely in it. I pull out the bone and examine it admirably. Beautiful. Smooth. Pearl white. I can see why it could penetrate even the deepest of souls. I gently place it back and look at the blood and tears.

I lift the vile of tears, an icy blue and transparent liquid. If applied on an open cut, the victim suffers extreme pain. Indescribable. Angel tears have to worst effect on demons. I can only imagine what it will do to Satan.  I swap it with the blood, a purple-red shad and thick. I'm not sure of the blood's magical properties, but I know it has some pain inflicting effect on Angels and demons alike. I put it back in the box and close it up.

"Hello, Gaz." That familiar, icy voice chills the air. I look up and see nothing but boxes, but I know he's here, that voice can't betray him. Mrs M gasps and Gabe tenses. I don't bother to find out what Am is doing. We hear four guns click and a barrel is raised above the rack the box was sitting on. "Did you miss me? Because I missed you. A lot. I've been lonely." He moves around to stand in front of me and smiles. Blue eyes glisten at me, my eyes then look down at the barrel of the gun being pointed at me. A demon gun, not meant to kill, but to knock unconscious. They do hurt, mind you. Back at GAC, they use them on us so we know way they feel like, I hated that Thursday. 

 Horror fills me as I look at people looking at me. 

"Shit." I say.