Part Twenty Three

Dari’s P.O.V.

My eyes widen as Gray’s voice flows through my ears. You need to wait for the right inside man. The right inside man. Was he talking about…him? This so called brother of mine, that stands across from me? I glance around, away from his soul piercing eyes. “Where is he,” I growl.

“Dari, you can’t just go and storm the place,”

“Who says I can’t?” I retort.

“I do, and it’s just impossible,”

“Why’d you bring it up then?” I say, glaring at him.

“Because I can get him out, more than you possibly could,”

My eyebrows crease angrily. “Don’t get smart with me, I did beat you in a fight,” I say, crossing my arms.

He fake coughs, “Um, you only beat me because I was going easy on you,”

“Oh really?” I raise my hand, flinging him sideways, “What about a re-match?”

I knew my anger was getting to me, but I couldn’t help it. He stood up hastily, throwing out his hand in my direction. I feel a blast of his power flying fast toward me. I counter the attack by holding out my hands, creating an invisible shield. A smile fades past his face as he throws a visually undetectable plasma ball at my head. I duck, spinning out of range of the powerful flying energy ball. I rub my fingers together feeling a tingling sensation flair in my palms. I glimpse the plasma ball resting in my hands. It glows with a faint blue light. I raise it towards the ceiling and chunk it at Porter as an infuriating nausea scores upon my brain. He stops it cold, a vein in his forehead becoming known. My energy bolt spins just before his out stretched hand.

Porter beams in victory when he launches it back, along with a plasma ball of his own making. I dodge one that screams past my ears, making me shiver. The next one punches me square in the chest. I zoom backward and slam into the brick wall behind me. It felt as if someone had shot me, but it was amplified to a million. I don’t get back up for the next few minutes, my mind not collaborating with my intentions. The next I open my eyes, Porter’s face hovers over my own. “You are good, but you have many things to learn if you ever want to go up against the Evolutionists,”

“The Evolutionists?” I ask warily.

He helps me sit up as he explains. “Dad took me away when I was four to them-”

“Wait did you say Dad? Like our father?”

He nods as if it was nothing and continues, “They call themselves the Evolutionists. They are mutants, but without being genetically altered by scientific means. They were born like this, so are you, me, our mother,”

“Partly,” I interrupt, “N.O.V.A. gave me ‘Danger Sense’,”

He shakes his head all ready knowing this. “He trained me to what I have become now. The Evolutionists have grown in number over the years, maybe six hundred strong? Maybe less, but they have always been enemies of N.O.V.A.”           

I tilt my head, slightly engrossed about the fact that N.O.V.A. had enemies or if they did they weren’t powerful enough to inconvenience the government agency. This group, The Evolutionists, was a major threat to N.O.V.A and could make it difficult for the agents to work properly. Didn’t he say that there were six hundred of them, all with super human abilities? Now that was a force to be reckoned with. “You would do that for me?” I ask, talking about getting Logan out alive.

“You are my little sis, I’m supposed to look out for you,”

We sit there in a moment of silence. “I’m still not trusting you fully, but I’m glad you told me,”