Part Twenty Two

“Logan’s P.O.V.”

I remember when a cold shiver rushed through me as if someone had touched their mark. I had hoped for a split second that it was Dari, but she was gone. I had felt her pain when the bullet found its target on her forehead. It was a quick twinge of hurt and then nothing more. The only thing I was glad for is that it was quick and she did not have to suffer, but now she was gone and nothing could bring her back. Nothing. She was no more, but a memory.

After that woman with rich blue eyes used her mutant power on me, they had left me on the floor, not being able to move.  That had been many hours ago and now I was pacing. They had left me here, for what? To recover? What exactly were they going to do next? I growled in anger, grabbing a potted plant and throwing it on the floor, where it scattered into a thousand pieces. “Hello?”a quiet voice asks hesitantly.

I creep, slowly toward the sound, before finding a small slit in the concrete wall, on the other side was a room, similar to mine. A woman with fierce light colored eyes and long brown hair. She seemed exhausted past her years. Her frail figure walked hesitantly closer. “Who are you?” I asked quietly.

She blinked slowly, “My name is May Cross, you?”

Cross? Is she related to Dari? “Logan Peirce,”

She acknowledges, before I make a split second decision. I role up my sleeve and show it to her, “Do you know what this is?”

She stares at it closely before realization impacts her in full force. “You are one of the eight?”

I nod, pulling back my arm. “Do you Know Dari?” She asks faintly.

“Yes, she’s your daughter?”

May’s eyes brighten to their original luster. I grow quiet, and I could see that she knew what had happened. “She’s… gone?” she asks shakily.

I shake my head, a rogue tear dripping onto my cheek. I could see sorrow etch itself onto her face. She sits down on the couch, her head in her hands as sobs echo the room. I turn away from Dari’s mother and lay myself on my own couch. I stare up at the dull, gray ceiling. I thought her mother was dead. How is she here? What if this is some kind of trick?

“May?” I call out.

“Yes…?” she says, halting her sobs as I here constant sniffles.

“How are you still here? You died,”

A long pause, “They have a healer here, I don’t know how they did it, but the healer somehow revived me,”

I remembered something that would be able to clarify this woman’s proof. “You gave something to Dari before you “died,” I need to know this so I can clarify that it is really you,” I explain.

“I gave my daughter a necklace, which was mine before her,” She stated quietly, “I understand how you would ask me, I do not trust many, but since you knew about her necklace, then I trust you,”

I nod without her seeing me. “I’m going to get us out of here,” I speak under my breath.

There is a short pause. “You can try,” she says finally.

“I will and we will get us out of here, you do have Dari’s power don’t you?”

“Yes, but that doesn’t mean anything, what can you do, Logan?”

I pause. Could I really trust her? I have to. This is for you Dari. “Bullets bounce off of me and when I get my hands on a weapon I instantly know how to use it and its tactics,”

I can feel awe radiating from her. “That…that will be useful,”

“Yes, and I will get us out of here alive,”

Dari’s P.O.V.

I woke with a jolt. I was tied to a chair, duck tape covering my mouth. I screamed through my ties, terrified. Darkness surrounded me until a light blurred in front of me. A man appeared out of the darkness. I instantly recognized him, it was the Porter guy. He gazed at me before he spoke, “Dari, I-”

I break the duck tape with a mental blast that leaves me feeling woozy. I ignore the feeling, for I was on a role. “What are you doing by kidnapping me? I am just getting sick and tired of this!”

“Dari, I’m your brother,”

 This shuts me up almost immediately. “Let…let me explain-”

I glare at him, “Liar!”

He shakes his head, his eyes dancing around nervously. “Dad took me away before you were born, I never knew that you were my sister, I wouldn’t have ever done that to you if I knew,” he pauses, shaking his head, “I’m sorry,”

I stare at him blankly. “If this is some trick to convince me to join you, it’s not working,”

“So you don’t believe me,”

“Nope,”

He sighs, thinking. “let’s see mom’s name is May,”

I shake my head; he would need to try a lot harder than that. “Mom’s favorite book series is The Chronicles of Narnia,”

“Which book?” I ask defiantly.

The Magician’s Nephew,” he answers calmly.

I watch him closely. No one knows her favorite book, only I did. She would always read it to me when I was little…a chapter every night. He couldn’t have found that out unless he actually was…?

I blink a fast growing tear away. No, he just can’t be, mom would have told me if I had a brother. “Why am I tied up?”

He scratches a patch of skin just behind his ear, just as my mother would do. “I didn’t know how you’d react and-” he stops mid sentence from my defiant stare.

He approached me and began to untie my bonds. Once I’m free, I run.  I run through the thick blanket of darkness, trying frantically to find a way out. I skim the wall, until I come onto a door. Before I even place my hand on the knob, Porter tackles me. We role around on the floor trying to find an upper hand on one another. He clamps his power onto my wrist, but not before I punch him, leaving blood to splatter in my eyes. I fling my hand forward, as he zooms backward, landing hard against the ground. Standing quickly, I race to the door, but not before his telekinesis trips me and hauls me back to him in an iron hard grip. I scream out, maybe to get someone’s attention, but the thing is that no one is there.

Porter positions me into a sitting position with a flicker of his index finger. I can’t move while his invisible hands hold me in place; even my lips are fastened shut. His expression softens and becomes heartbreaking. “You got to believe me, Dari!”

His colorless like eyes stare into my own almost pleadingly. With his weakness, I break through his mental bonds and stand angrily. “And why should I?” I growl dangerously.

I feel my emotions about to explode and he was the target. “I know where Logan is,”

<><><><><><><><>

Thanks for reading and comments are helpful, they make me want to write faster! So the more votes and comments the faster I update! So enjoy!