Chapter Ten

My eyes snapped open, panic surging through my veins. The violent nightmare slowly fades away, as the harsh unnatural light filters in. Was it time? Where was Cole? Did he forget about me? Surely not, he just can't. I lay there, panicking and over thinking every situation. Did he die? Did they find out that he was helping me? Thoughts swirled around in loops as I lay stomach down on the bed. My ears suddenly prick up, hearing steady thumps of footsteps from down the hallway. I stretch out my senses until my head twinges with dull pain. Someone rushes in, followed by another. It's Cole. Thank you.

He unties my thick restraints; with the help of someone I can't quiet see. All the while, a feeling of relief rushes through me like electricity. The scrapes heal by Cole's gentle hands. I stand for the first time in what seems like days, but I had a feeling it had been longer. I strap my bra closed as Cole hands me a shirt. "Thanks," I mumble.

Okay, you don't get how awkward this is. Have you ever been half naked in front of a guy you don't know all that well before? Yeah, this is not going to be some average day for me. I turn and notice a girl, older than me with brown hair, brown eyes, and an ivory dark complexion. "Come on, we got to get you out of here," She whispered.

"I'm not going without finding out the truth, neither am I going to leave you two here," I say, breaking my last minute plan to them.

The girl hesitates, "I'll see what I can do, but do you want to get out of here or not?"

"I want answers first; do you know where they keep the files?"

She nodded slowly, leading us both out into the white hallway. She walks to the right, down another hallway and then took a left. We went on for what seemed like hours. I soon lost track of how many turns we had taken. Finally she halted in front of a door. She grabbed the handle, locked. She turned to me, as I spoke, "let me try something,"

I reach out to the knob, feeling the coolness against my fingertips. I'm not really sure how I do this, but it's almost like my hand reaches through the door and unlocks it. Except this only happens where I can see it, my hand doesn't actually go through the door. In a since my 'spirit hand' goes through and unlocks it, but whatever you want to call it is fine with me. It clicks and I push it open. "How'd you do that?" Cole asked.

I ignore him, as I run to the filing cabinets, frantically trying to find the eight files. I feel like an ant amongst elephants. There were so many filing cabinets in this tiny room. I open the first one, shifting through anything that caught my eye. Nope. The next door. Nothing. The third one. Zero, Zip.

I barely notice as Cole and the brown eyed girl help me in my search. I suddenly come onto a filing door that has a small label that I can barely read. N.O.V.A.s. I excitedly tear open the cabinet as eight separate folders appear. Each titled by their numbers. I grab all of them at once with hunger for the truth sparking in my eyes. Seeing this, the girl hands me a bag. I throw the papers in and strap the bag to my back. "Now, how do we get out of here?" I ask in a slight panic.

Before she could answer another voice interrupted. "You don't,"

I turn, startled to find the owner of the voice standing in the doorway. Her brilliant green eyes watch me with a fiery gaze. It's Grace. I glance at the girl. Any ideas? I voice in my expression.

She shakes her head. I turn to face Grace. I see her eye flush with anger. Orange flames materialize out of thin air lacing themselves up her arms. So this is what she could do. Fire. The warmth spreads to the ground, licking at my feet. I close my eyes and breathe in calmly.

Reaching out with new found strength I push her back without touching her. She is thrown against the wall in the hallway. I stumble past the flames, to check on her. She wasn't dead, but knocked out. Her flaming red hair tumbles over her face, concealing her eyes. I check to make sure the two are behind me, before letting the girl take the lead. She runs down the hallway, before taking another turn. I have the door leading to the outside in my sights.

We seem to sprint to the door as I fling it open with my telekinesis. I smile at the new found ability. Cars honk loudly as we step outside. Tall skyscrapers tower over us, as I gawk at the landscape in wonder. Were we in New York? "I don't think so," the girl says suddenly, seeming to answer my question.

I turn to Cole suddenly, grabbing his arm. He glares at me, shocked, as I roll up his sleeve. There it is, the exotic galaxy tattoo. He gapes at me, startled. "You are Number Five," I say.

"Wha?" He frowns, "what do you mean?"

"You-" I begin.

"Were not out of this yet guys-" The girl says.

I turn sharply, finding a handful of guards pointing guns at us. My eyes widen as I try to figure away out of this. There's a blur of motion by the guards and gun shots ring out. A sharp pain hits my side as I cry out and fall to the floor. Everything happens in slow motion. I see Cole fall to the ground with a bloodied arm and the girl as well,but with an injury in her thigh. I lay there feeling my pain in my side as well as in my arm. Someone grabs my shoulders. I turn to see- "Miles!"

"Where've you've been lately?" He says, his blue eyes smiling.

I turn back to see Logan standing in a pile of scattered guards. His hansome face stares at me with worry. My eyes turn hazy from the pain, it becomes almost unbearable. Logan rushes over to me, "You alright?"

I don't have the energy to speak. Looking over at Cole, I see him reach over and touch my hand. I sigh in relief as his healing fingers sooth the wound on my side. I can tell Logan and Miles feel it too. "This is Cole, number five," I say a little shakily.

They both look at each other and then back at Cole. "I'm Miles, Number Four," Miles says introducing himself.

"I'm Logan, Number One,"

The way he said his name makes chills go down my spine. "Guys we should get out of here," the girl says quietly behind me.

We all turn to look at her. I see blood swirming on her blue jeans. "You!" Logan growls.

He stands, picking her up in a tight grip. He stares at her with venom in his eyes. "Logan!" I exclaim.

I run over and yank him away from her. "Stop it!" I yell.

He glares down at me with frustration and anger. "You don't get it Dari, she tried to kill me!"

I look back into her pain filled eyes. She nodded to his statement. I turned back to Logan and snapped, "She saved my life, she's changed. The N.O.V.A. agency can make you do things, you know. She can help us!"

In the end I'm almost pleading. "Fine," He mutters, backing up.

I sigh and go over to her. "You shouldn't have helped me," She whispers.

"Thats what friends are for,"

She smiles at this. "I'm Skylar by the way,"

"I think we should heed her words, everyone's giving me some weird looks," Miles says.

I nod and turn to Logan. He gives me a look before turning to a car a couple paces down. He ushers Miles to his side. Miles places his palm gently against the car door and pops it open. Cole gives me a confused look as I return him an "I'll explain later" look. Logan gets into the driver's side and starts the car (with the help of Miles of course). I get in on the passengers side as Cole, Skylar, and Miles climb in the back. I sit the bag of files in my lap as Logan pules out onto the main road. He glances over at me, seeing the object. "Whats that?" He asks.

"Answers," I say smiling.   

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Yea! Finished another chapter! Sorry it took a little longer than usual. I was really busy! And hopefully this chapter is a little longer. Anyway. Hope you guys enjoy! Do you guys have any questions or opinions? If you do, don't be afraid to spill them (i'm that kind of freind). Anywayss 

Vote

Comment

And all that..

By ya'll