Part Eight

He stayed by my side, for what seemed like hours. Logan suddenly stands, lifting me up beside him. “Come on, I need to so you something,”

He leads me down the stairs, through the living room, and down a hallway. Logan turns, giving me a look, before opening a door. He ushers me in, as I gasp in amazement. Computers, cover the room (well, technical stuff). And at the center of this maze of wires and hard drives, sits Miles. He doesn’t notice us as he stares at the screen. “Miles,” Logan says.

He jumps, turning around in his chair. His eyes, seem glazed over in a silvery sheen, unlike to his rich blue eyes. He smiles at my wonder. “You like it?” It took me two months to build it,” He tells me.

I tilt my head slightly. He built this in two months? I wouldn’t even know where to start with a simple laptop, but yet he had built a super computer. “Ahh…you see I built this with the help of…well let me show you,”

He throws out his hands, outstretching his fingers. Transparent screens suddenly appear at his fingertips. Dozens of numbers and computer codes flash onto the screens. He smiles before confirming what I had suspected, “I’m a technopath,”   

“I can sense when bad things are about to happen,” I reply.

Yes, I know, this is highly out of my personality, but he did share his power; so it would be initialed for me to share mine. Now, it’s your turn Logan. I think in my head. He hasn’t exactly told me what his power was. Miles grins, “So that’s how you made it here unharmed,”

I nod, “Um…sorry about earlier,” I say, totally ashamed for my reaction from his simple joke.

He waves it off, “That’s all right. I like to push people’s keys,”

Logan chuckles behind me, as I almost forget to laugh. That was a joke, about pushing people’s buttons and since he’s a technopath…oh you know what I mean. “Anyway,” Logan interrupts, “That was not what I was going to show you,”

I feel Logan nod to Miles from behind me. He spins around in his chair, fingers flying over the keys. Suddenly, I see a video feed materialize up on the screen. “Is this live?” I ask, seeing people walk in and out of the frame.

Miles nods, staring attentively at the screen before speaking. “This building that you see here is the source of all of our problems. This is the N.O.V.A institution,”

His fingers shift slightly, as another image replaces the preexisting one. It’s some room with metal file cabinets everywhere. “This video feed was how we got the list; it was just our luck that someone was stupid enough to leave it out,”

The List, you know the one Logan showed me with all of the eight’s names on it. Where was that list anyway? Seeming to read my thoughts, Logan draws out a crumbled piece of paper from his pocket. He hands it to me, once again, but for the first time I actually read it.

Number One: Logan Pierce

Number Two:  Autumn Caverly

Number Three: Grace Kinsley

Number Four: Miles Bourne

Number Five: Cole Daces

Number Six: Kenleigh Faith

Number Seven: Dari Cross

Number Eight: Gray Knight

I stare hard at the names, trying to figure out which one of these belonged to the person who died. If I scratched out Logan, Miles, Me, and that girl, Grace…but there were still a lot left; Autumn, Cole, Kenleigh, and Gray. Who were they and more importantly, what are their powers? I look up to find the two watching me. “What?”

“Do you know anything about those names?” Miles asked.

Oh, of course he was asking about my da…doesn’t anybody know that he left long ago? “I don’t have a clue, Miles,” I reply.

Another thought suddenly materialized in my mind. “How come we are in numbers?” And the tattoo,” I say remembering about the mark, “why? How does this all come back to my father?”

“That sheet of paper is the only information we have on us, really. And your father’s name came up everywhere we looked. That includes some N.O.V.A. files that leaked and police records. That’s why Logan went in search for you first; we thought that he was still with you,”

“How are we going to find out the truth? N.O.V.A. seems to want us disposed of; we will get an assassin that will catch us by surprise, eventually. I don’t know the extent of my powers yet so what if my “danger sense” doesn’t go off, then what do we do and where do we go? They’re persistent, they will send more assassins,” 

Logan looks at me with a worried expression, “I know I promised you a safer place, but apparently this isn’t one. I might be able to ask a buddy a favor, but…”

“There is not a safe place for me anymore, my father got me into this mess, and now I’m going to have deal with it. I’m not going anywhere, whether you like it or not,” I say, interrupting him.

“All right Dari, but it will be dangerous,”

“Like it isn’t enough already,” I mutter.

Miles laughter echoes around me. Ignoring their amusement, I continued, “So…what’s the game plan? Are we going to go find the others?”

Logan nodded, “Yeah, might as well so we don’t have to feel another one of us die,”

We all cringe at the thought. “Who’s first?” I ask.

“Hmm…let’s start with number eight. I look down at the list. “Gray Knight,” I pause, “How are we going to find him anyway?”

“It could be a girl. You never know-”

“Miles, here can track Gray down just by thinking it. The-”

“Guys, one at a time please!” I interrupt.

Another deep chuckle envelopes the room. “Here, I’ll find her,”

“Him,” Logan and I both correct him.

“You don’t know that,” He grumbles, swinging around in his chair as he searches the web for Gray Knight.

After a few moments he opens his mouth to reply, but something stops him. He sees my face pale as my “danger sense” tingles through my spine.  Before I could even blink, nausea hits me like a wave. This has never happened before. I see Logan grab for me, his lips moving, but no words come out. I fall in his arms as darkness shrouds my vision.   

<><><><><><><><><><>

Thanks for reading! I realize that I right really small "parts". I'm trying to get better on that, but I'm just one of those writers that posts small chapters, but frequently! So until next time! Hope you guys like it!