24: My Warrior (Epilogue)

However, our happiness soon found its boundaries. Our life was going on with the flow with no hinders at all. Adam Scott and I were officially divorced. I was a free lady now. I was happy to revive my old surname: Johnson. Adam had mailed me a long apology letter where he begged for forgiveness for behaving rudely with me. Furthermore, he had wished me luck for my new life. His letter gave me the impression that Adam was prepared to change for the better.

James and I were in a relationship. I knew Ethan had feeling for me in his heart, and it was hard for him to digest the fact that I had chose him as my partner. I was upset for the first few days for being the reason of someone's sadness. Ethan was truly a great guy, but I was not made for him. I was too imperfect for a perfect flawless man like him. Nonetheless, this rejection did not affect our good bond of friendship.

I was selected as one of the finalist in the Talent Hunt competition, but was unsuccessful in becoming the champion of the competition. I was declared as the second runner up, and was given my prize money. But once again, Ethan worked his magic. He helped me to traditionally publish my book "Dear Kitten" internationally. Within two week, more than 1,000,000 copies were sold worldwide. I was given the tag of bestseller author.

The next following weeks were a bliss. I was busy in organising a meet and greet session with my readers who were eager to meet me. But this did not give us an excuse to have our romance get faded.

The most beautiful moment was when James Black proposed to marry me in the Christmas eve in front of his family, my friends, Mr Stellar and his family. All together, I was welcomed in a new family. A few days later, I discovered myself as pregnant.

My life was beautiful unless on our wedding night in Italy a call from hospital appeared on his phone. James's boss begged him to travel to New York for a few months to help them manage business there. It was the same time when the pandemic struck the face of the earth.

In New York millions of commuters brush up against each other on its packed subway system every day, while keeping distance on its sometimes narrow sidewalks can be difficult. NYC gets more than 60 million tourists a year and is the entry point to America for many travelers, meaning anyone carrying the virus is likely to start infecting others. It is difficult to identify who has the disease and who does not. About 80% of people with a SARS-CoV-2 infection will have a mild case or no symptoms at all.

I was afraid to allow him to go, but then I did not have the right to prevent James from performing his job. It was the duty of a doctor to ensure the welfare of the citizens.

The whole time I tried to keep my hopes positive, but then one day via a phone call, it was informed that James had a severe asthma attack. With the presence of all the symptoms of the new COVID-19 including dry cough, and chest pain, he was admitted to NYC Health. It might have happened he had contaminated the disease from one of the patients because James was very cautions about his hygiene and self protection.

As days passed by, the number of call coming from the hospital carrying his updates lowered. It was confirmed that his chances of survival were very less. My heart wished to visit him, but I could not fulfil this desire of mine. International airways were shut down during the pandemic.

Right now, I am praying day and night for his quick recovery.

24th April, 2020

The buzzing of my phone fills the room. I place down my diary, and hurry to pick the call. It is from NYC Health.

"Hello Miss, we want to inform you that James Black is no more." The lady on the other side of the phone confirms coldly, and hangs the phone cutting my chance to communicate.

Those four words stabs my heart. My warrior is dead. I cannot believe my ears, but it it is the harsh reality; not a fairy tale where miracles work.

"I'll FOREVER LOVE YOU MY WARRIOR. YOU WILL BE REMEMEBERED FOREVER." I hollowed with tears rolling down my eyes.

How much I wish this was a dream, but it isn't! My love for James Black for continue to grow stronger with each passing day. I, Mrs. Black, promise to fulfill the needs of our daughter, and take good care of her till my last breath.

THE END