22: The Prom

The slap caused a hinder in the flow of our daily routine. Actually, our routine of spending time together saw inexistency. Nevertheless, our sole life did not encounter any disruption. Meeting Lizzy was a regular task included in his package. I had resigned my position of his lunch organizer. Lizzy fulfilled my position gladly. I was unconscious of the new updates of their relationship progress, but I was glad I did not have to hear the same old blabbers in favour of Lizzy Carton's great personality.

Words unspoken piled up leading to the establishment of a distance as vast as the Universe between us. Text messages were reduced to minimum. Kelly would have been the bridge of mending things between us. Unfortunately, her grandfather and she had left for Canada to meet Mia the very next morning of our fight. I am certain her innocent demands could not have brought her uncle and aunt together anymore. The slap had clouted his self-esteem. His self worth was cuffed under the arrest of ignominy. He was laboring to help his self-respect seek freedom. The only way to attain this state was: distancing himself from the humiliator.

As the days floated by, we grew more distant. We felt like to different strangers in the next twenty days living in two distinct worlds - one of ice and another of fire. Neither of the stubborn party was willing to take the place of the first person to confess.

WELL, WHY ON EARTH SHOULD I? JAMES WAS A BEING A TOTAL CONTROL FREAK.

The little voice inside my head jogged my senses. Mr Black was the one to make such hurtful, and apparently insults remarks on a subject alien to his knowledge. If someone who must beg for forgiveness, it was HIM.

"He deserved the slap for breaking his limits!" The recurrence of how I was affronted by his abusive barbs revived my obdurateness not to be the first person to avow on any topic. I was not dependent on him from any aspect, excluding the quota of moral support. This false allegation tag of my dependency(of every kind) on him required to be cleared.

Without him, life was...still sailing without any difficulties or boredom. I had entered the contest successfully after finishing my book within the instructed time period. Ethan was a total sweetheart not to keep heartened with positive tips throughout my novel writing period. A shower of appreciation would have fallen less to express my gratitude towards him. Undoubtedly, this guy was a true gentleman, strictly not an overindulgent alcoholic or sex-addict.

The only way to show my appreciation towards his selfless deed was to accept the invitation to prom. Might be it would help me to get over my addiction for James, and would bring me face to face to my true lover. Or what if Ethan Jeffers himself was my Prince Charming? This well behaved lad had never skipped a chance to amuse me with his kindness and smartness.

"We have arrived!"

Ethan's excitement pulled me out from my reminiscence, thus blocking the tracing path of my 0backstory behind accepting his proposal. It was important to makes James understand that he was in the control of the remote control of my life.

"Yes, this is my first time, and it really makes me nervous."

"A, you're totally rocking that dress, and I bet you will the most beautiful lady from tonight's prom." He added with the world's most dashing smile playing on his lips.

He has a magic with words, doesn't he?

But speaking of the dress, I was clueless of the sender. The nude shade glittery dress with a high split near the cleavage was dropped as a courier outside my door. For a minute, I called it as a misapprehension of the address until my eyes fell on the gift card where my name was imprinted in bold: Amy Johnson. Magically, I was in hunt for a perfect prom dress for the occasion for days, and being gifted with the dress was a pure bliss! Even though I was unassured of the enigma behind keeping the sender's name undisclosed, my predictions said this kindness had an intimate linkage with Mr Fancy Pants. The guy was one of my sweetest mate.