14: His Misery is My Pleasure

Kelly sponged away the dewdrops overburdening her emerald globlets with her hands. She huffed and puffed. After draining her energy in the recent excercise, the desperation for need of air engulfed her. This was the only physical exercise, if performed vehemently, could bring annihilation rather than improvising heath and fitness or helping with the sensation of feeling better. Swollen stuffed nose, rheumy eyes, sore throat bringing triggers like severe headache, dizziness and fatigue are some of its popular consequences.

Even in her plight of raw tepid mush exercising down her rufous nose, she organised herself to utter out a sweet apology. "I am sorry Grandpa."

Her mellifluous voice was fissured, and hence her response sounded analogous to a toad.

Mr. Stellar, very much statisfied with the confession, extended his chalk-white handkerchief. Being excessively touched with the care she was loaded with, her eyes filled up to the brim. The little creature marched a step ahead and grabbed the handkerchief. She blew her nose into it and apparently, considered it wisely to return back the property to its rightful owner.

"Thank you for the gift Kelly."
With his face displaying revulsion, he accepted her clingy gift. However, the man ensured to follow the norm of social distancing, and abstracted the unclean handkerchief  from his body.

The girl was entertained by the humour. Her lips extended to form a sly smile as if she took great pleasure in her grandfather's misery behind the words.

She swayed her body in an irregular rythmn, and her eyes were oscillating between the ground and her grandfather. Clearly, she was nervous to express her urge.

"You may go." Mr. Stellar understanding the coffin of emotions graved in her chest granted the permission. A broad smile overtook Kelly but it lasted for a fraction of second until he launched the terms and conditions of the imposition. He said firmly, "You are going to be a good girl and most importantly, behave yourself like a lady."

Shaking her head, she argued, "But I am not a lady yet, am I?"

"You are eight, and soon you will be a lady. With age comes responsibilities. Did you understand?"

"What will make me a lady?"

"You'll soon understand. The first stage will approach in the twinkle of an eye.'

She drilled her finger in her mouth, and thought deeply for a while. Her rumination signified trouble for her grandfather. Her eyes sparkled the moment she found the perfect question to pamper Mr. Stellar with.
"How will I know I have grown into a lady, grandpa?"

"Your body will send you signals."

In a flash of second came her response.

"What signals? How many signals? Will it be visible to others?"

Kelly's never ending questions flooded up one after the other. Mr. Stellar had a hard time answering them, and coping with her curiosities.

Mr. Stellar exhibited an act where he, very cunningly, pretended to check his invisible watch around his wrist as if it was hidden somewhere beneath the shirt.

"You need to be back before lunch time. And.....your time starts now."

"Let's go Kelly." James jabbered with a high determination.

I failed to understand the source of his determination. Nevertheless, Kelly had admitted it already about her decision: she would like to go out with me. I shrugged his question, and straightened my body while riding up.

Kelly lolled out her tongue at Mr. Stubborn baby. It was her process of teaching him a lesson. She tugged my fingers, calling me for my consultation.