23: The Enigma behind his Magic Box

Knitting my eyebrows together, I enquired, "Is James your brother?"

"YES, do you have a problem?" Miss Carton's eye whirled around to show high exasperation.

James and Lizzy shared the same eyeball color. But it indicated that she had no blood connections with Eric Carton.

"Honey, calm down," whispered the jet-black haired man standing beside her near the door. "Sorry Miss, she has an attitude problem."

As soon as he finished pronouncing this complaint for his girlfriend, the guy flinched at the acidity of a sharp pain. He narrowed his gaze at the pain inflictor while massaging his hand.

"James is your very own brother?"

"No, cousin brother. Elliot Carton, my mother, and Lucy Black are sisters by blood. I hope I will not have to answer any more of your questions." Her reply was successfully followed by another eye-roll. If each sentence was to end with a pathetic bagging of eye, how many times did this talkative lady had her eyes pivoting around? No doubt why our family-oriented James would fill up the day and night praising his sister. James was rude equally when needed.

When the puzzles started falling back its pieces, I started to wander the reason behind my stay in a hospital, and that too standing under the same roof with Lizzy and her XYZ boyfriend (hopefully, people don't take their family members to the prom to dance and kiss with them; possibility of him being her girlfriend was high.)

It was hard to focus on the happenings of last night after coming face-to-face with the truths. I was compelled to put forth an enquiry.

My mouth gaped a little to utter more words. Softly I shot another question. "I have one more question. Why am I here? Please call Ethan. He was with me 24/7."

"Right 24/7," James emerged in the scene, and began to mimic my words. The big guy proclaimed clearly and distinctly, "BUT you see, it was Liz who had discovered you in an unconscious state in the party restroom."

Fainted? I tried to put emphasis on my memory. I had misjudged Lizzy's boyfriend as James. Watching them kiss made me feel nauseated. I ignored Ethan's words, and dashed to head into the restroom. And then my world crumbled to black color.

I should be grateful to my life savior, but I expected my rescuer to be a little kind. Nevertheless, I had to admit that if it was not for her mercy, I would have been reposed on the floor for hours. Thanks to my stalker and secret agent launched by James in his absence.

A sudden feeling of relief washed me over. Though my head was throbbing in the most terrible manner, I felt on the top of the world after stepping out from the clouds of confusion, and my own maze of assumptions. I had to pat my creative mind for weaving a story all by myself.

"Thank you boss for taking care of her." Dr. Black spoke while walking towards my bed. He rolled his sleeves to his elbows, and grabbed my wrist gently to measure my pulse rate.

A voice originating from my left side ceased the actions of Dr. James. "Her pressure level, sugar level, and oxygen level are back to normal."

"That's a relief!" He exclaimed freeing my hands from his grip.

"You can manage here now, can't you?"

"Yes sir."

"We will discuss regarding your transfer today itself." James's boss climbed up to leave, but hearing a new term in the story, I decided to delay his actions.

"Transfer from New York?"

"Yes, Amy. James has got an opportunity in the world prestigious organization, WEllBE. It is located in our home town, Italy." Lizzy blathered without an eye-roll this time.