Chapter 18: The spy next door

Zoe's POV

It's been two weeks since we both signed the contract and everything has been going great.

I haven't seen or heard from Alexander since. I'm still a bit surprised he went down without a fight, though I'm determined not to let my guard down. He can be very unpredictable.

Not going to work means I have a lot of free time, time that I'm not too sure how I'm going to spend. So I've spend it thinking about what could have or might have been between Rafael and I.

I haven't heard from him either, a part of me feels like I dodged a bullet and the other is still helping I'd see him again.

I've already gone back to that same restaurant thrice this week, hoping I'd see him.

Sure, I knew where he lived but I hadn't reached that point of desperation yet. If he wanted to see me he would have made an effort.

I guess I finally know what boredom feels like.

Alex has stayed true to his word and has sent my replacement (James) to look after my cafe. He seems to be doing a great job. I can't complain or insist that Alex and allows me to work.

I've now ran out of movies to watch on Netflix, I've been desperately asking people for suggestions. I felt like I was under house arrest even though I could go out.

I checked the time on my TV screen, to see that it was already 12 a.m.. Now a days there's just yesterday and tomorrow.

Who could have thought that doing nothing would be so much work.

I was still in my nightgown, laying on my couch and staring at the TV screen. I'm sure I would be able to find popcorn in my hair (that's how far I've fallen).

I heard the sound of boxes scraping against the floor, along with footsteps coming from outside my apartment.

I raised my head off the couch, curious of the source of the sound.

I stood up from the couch and walked to the door. I opened the door slightly, just enough to peak through.

I saw a bunch of guys from a moving company, taking boxes and moving furniture to the apartment next door.

With an eyebrow raised, I closed the door again.

In the last ten years that I've stayed here, that apartment hasn't been occupied.
For a while, it was used as a storage room. The owner probably finally decided to rent it out.

I returned to the couch and fumbled for the remote.

The only exciting thing I'm looking forward to is my baby's first check-up in two weeks time.

It's the earliest appointment we could get. Turns out, highly recommended, private doctors have a lot of patients.

I'll finally get an ultrasound. I'm excited to know how my baby is doing.

Scrolling through the channels for something to watch, I suddenly hear a knock on the door, breaking into my thoughts.

I sighed stepping off the couch. I run my hands through my hair hoping it would improve my appearance.

I slightly opened the door to see the person.
I regret not having a peephole on my door.

A tall, dark-haired man stood at my door. He had a grin on his face and held out a small box in his hand decorated with a red ribbon.

"Hi, I'm Tom." He announced.

I stuck my eyebrows together confused. Was I supposed to know him? I had never seen him before in my entire life.

The baby swap✓On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara