Chapter 34: The ball

Zoe's POV

Lately, Rafael and I have grown quite fond of one other. He does what most people can't, listen without judgment. Even when I could tell I was being selfish at times, he always listened.

Through my days of boredom, Rafael and I have become close.

Although I could talk to him about almost anything, I couldn't help but get the feeling that he was constantly hiding something from me. He had this whole mysterious cloud over his head and I'm not too sure it was a good thing.

I paged through this weeks tabloids to hear about any news from Alexander. He hasn't called and I'm starting to get worried. Obviously I won't call him to ask why he hasn't been calling, that would just make me look too desperate. So I decided on the next best option, to spy on him through the tabloids.

There were a couple of pictures of him in restaurants and bars, in every one of those pictures he had a smile. He almost looked happy, without me.

The magazine fell from my hands as I saw Cindy in one of the pictures. What was she still doing around him? I should have known that she would start to make her move the first chance she got. The worst part was the dating rumors. It couldn't be true. Alex didn't seem like someone capable of committing to anyone. Maybe Alex would have called and said something if they were in a relationship. After all, it was just that, rumors.

In another magazine was of Alex coming out of a jewelry store, there were rumors of him buying an engagement ring. I knew that couldn't be true. He was definitely not the type to get married.

I heard a knock on my door bringing me out of my thoughts.

"Just a minute," I yelled. Standing up was starting to get a lot harder.

I walked as fast as I could. I opened the door not worried about my appearance. I was still in my pajamas and I'm pretty sure I had some pop corn in my hair.

I couldn't believe my eyes. Alexander was here, right in front of me.

At first, I was relieved but then hit by the realization that I had magazines of him all over my table. If he saw any of it he would never let me hear the end of it. Not to mention how terrible I looked.

So I slammed the door into his face, for a moment I actually felt bad about it. I raced to the living room as fast as I could. I needed to get rid of all of the tabloids immediately.

I heard Alexander's footsteps approaching, this time he let himself in.

I quickly pushed all of the magazines underneath my couch. Maybe I should have stashed them somewhere else, I was only going to be able to get them back once this baby was born.

"What was that all about?" He asked confused.

I tucked my hair behind my ear.

"Nothin," I lied. I had just realized that I left the stove on, I didn't want to burn the house down." I said.

"And your stove is in your living room," He said.

I just pointed to the kitchen not knowing how to explain. I didn't owe him any explanations.

He settled himself in and sat on the couch. I was still trying to recover from my inability to lie.

"Zoe," He said. He had his eyes fixed on the floor. "You know you can talk to me about anything right?" He asked.

"Yes," I answered taking a seat.

"You don't need to spy on me through these magazines, you could just ask. You know that nothing they ever say is true, right?" He asked.