Chapter 17

Poussez! Push!” the midwife encouraged Desirée, who was gripping the sheets for dear life. Her forehead was drenched with sweat, as was her gown. Where was Alec? The irony wasn’t lost on her. He’d actually gotten the timing right; he’d arrived the day before her contractions started, but then he’d gone to Paris to meet with Zach and he was now rushing back to Rennes. The baby was coming faster than Juliette had, and Desirée worried he wasn’t going to make it in time, after all.

Over the past months, Alec had made several trips to France and gotten to know Juliette and Zach better. He’d been delighted to find that Zach’s special someone was named Jean-Luc and had a keen interest in the law, as well as American baseball. Desirée had chuckled and asked if she was going to have to worry about him spending time with Jean-Luc, to which he’d promptly carried her to bed, eager to quell any concerns she might have.

Juliette had fallen in love with Alec, as well, and whenever Desirée watched the two of them interact, she could tell the feeling was mutual. Everything was running along smoothly, but she had yet to give him an answer to his proposal.

Poussez!”

Desirée screamed in pain and just before the little one made an appearance, Alec was by her side, squeezing her hand. She looked up at him, gave it one last push and then a scream pierced the room. The two parents watched in awe as a tiny bundle covered in blood and slime was presented to them.

“You made it,” Desirée said, tears in her eyes.

“Told you, I have excellent timing,” he joked and kissed her forehead.

~~~

Alec stroked Desirée’s hair as she slept and picked up his baby girl from her crib. It had been a couple of life-changing days for them both. Well, maybe more so for him. He’d never believed in love at first sight. Attraction, sure, but not love. But that was what he felt for his daughter. Mind-blowing, earth-shattering, overwhelming love and devotion. He couldn’t imagine being away from her any more than he could imagine being away from her mother.

Alexia Georgette Margot Grayson. Little Lexi. Alec rocked the little pink bundle in his arms and marveled at the miracle of children. He never thought he’d truly wanted children, not until he met Desirée. His parents were pleased, but worried they wouldn’t get to see much of their grandchild if Desirée persisted in staying in France. Since Lexi was born, though, Alec didn’t care where they lived anymore. He just wanted to be with his family.

“Alec?” Desirée groaned, sitting up in bed with great effort, her eyes still half-closed.

“Go back to bed,” he said softly. “I’ve got this.”

“That’s sweet, but I’m bursting with milk here,” she mumbled. “I forgot to…”

“Oh,” he said and carried Lexi over to her. “Then by all means…”

That was another thing Alec couldn’t get enough of – watching Desirée feed their daughter. Miracles everywhere he looked.

“Why are you awake?” she asked as she settled in with Lexi. “Don’t you have that conference call in the morning?”

“Their morning, not mine,” he corrected her. “Gotta say I’m loving this time difference thing.”

“When do you have to get back to New York?” she yawned.

“I’m not going back,” he said to her.

“What?”

“Not without you, Rae.”

“Alec…”

“You’re exhausted,” he said and kissed her. “We’ll talk in the morning.”