Chapter 6

The steam from the hot shower fogged up the bathroom mirror, and as Alec wiped it with his hand, he noted a five o’clock shadow in progress. He would have loved to shave, but he doubted Desirée would appreciate him going through her bathroom cabinet – let alone using her shaving products. If she used those at all, that is. Desirée Grimaud seemed more like the waxing type.

Personal grooming was important to him. Alec always wanted to look presentable, it was part of his image. Sharks were clean, smooth. There was a reason he wasn’t known as a gorilla. Speaking of sharks, he hadn’t planned to get himself stranded with Desirée Grimaud, but he had to admit it could work to his advantage. No woman could resist this charm for too long and no matter how feisty Desirée Grimaud was she was still just a woman.

~~~

Desirée looked up when she heard the staircase creak and quickly regretted it. Alec Grayson may not be a beefy guy, but her oversized clothes still fit him snugly. The gray sweatpants rode low on his narrow hips, and the white T-shirt looked more like a second skin where it clung to his pecs.

She caught herself staring and whipped her head around in the hopes of avoiding him noticing her shameless ogling. Her heartbeat had quickened, though, and her heated cheeks taunted her, gleefully reminding her it had been years since she’d experienced this kind of physical attraction.

Yes, Alec Grayson was strikingly handsome, but he was the enemy, Desirée reminded herself. Admiring him in any way, shape or form was simply out of the question.

Alec couldn’t help but smirk as Desirée looked away, clearly trying to disguise the fact that she’d been ogling him – and loving the view.

“Shower’s free,” he said, breaking the silence. “I tried not to use up all the hot water.”

“Thank you,” Desirée said, busying herself with making sandwiches.

“I must say,” Alec drawled, leaning against the kitchen counter, “I’m impressed. You seem very prepared for situations like these.”

“I’m a practical woman, Mr. Grayson,” Desirée said and shrugged. “No good has ever come of being ill-prepared.”

“You’re prepared for every possible situation?” he raised his eyebrows.

“Well, I wasn’t prepared to have a houseguest in this storm,” she scoffed.

“Any idea on how long this particular storm might last?” Alec asked.

“Seeing as the phone lines are down and electricity is out, it’s hard to say.”

“But our cell phones should still…” Alec frowned and walked into the hallway to get his phone out of his jacket. No network access. “What the…?” he growled in frustration. He needed his phone – it was his lifeline, his connection to the outside world.

“I’m guessing the tower was damaged in some way,” Desirée said as Alec returned to the kitchen, his expression as dark as the overcast sky. “Trust me, you’re not the only one who needs a phone, Mr. Grayson,” Desirée said tersely, her thoughts going to Juliette.

Instead of arguing about the far superior importance of him having a phone, Alec sat down at the kitchen table, where Desirée had already set down two cups of tea and a plate of sandwiches.

“This looks good,” he said, eyeing the selection. “Did you go to the bakery today or do you bake your own bread?”

“Bakery,” she replied and sat down opposite him. “Help yourself.”

Alec inclined his head and picked one of the sandwiches off the plate. “I have to admit,” he said after taking a few bites, “I haven’t had a lot of bread over the last couple of years, but this is very good.”