Chapter 14

This time, Alec didn’t get the fanciest car on the lot for a rental, he got a nice, safe French car and drove it without the aid of a GPS right to Desirée’s doorstep. It was almost summer now, and the trees and flower beds were in full bloom. It was a beautiful, sunny day, and he decided to try the studio first. Desirée wouldn’t waste the natural light by staying indoors, he was sure of it.

When he walked into the backyard, though, it wasn’t Desirée he saw painting in her studio. It was a little girl sitting on the floor with a dozen crayons scattered all around her. The glass door was open and she looked up when he moved towards the little structure.

Qui êtes-vous?” the little girl said, her brown eyes like saucers.

Alec felt his heart slam to a stop. He was looking at a miniature Desirée and he instantly knew what she’d been hiding. She never intended for him to know she had a daughter. Was it Zachary Steele’s? Where had the girl been when he was here? Did Desirée ship her off to keep him from finding out about her? He quickly snapped out of his musings and turned his focus back to the little girl before him, knowing he had to say something.

“Hi,” Alec said tentatively and crouched down to be at eye-level with the little munchkin. “I’m Alec. What’s your name?”

“Juliette,” the girl said, biting her lip pensively, sizing him up. “Why are you here?”

“I’m looking for a bigger version of you; I think that might be your mommy…”

Maman!” the girl cried out and Alec stood up straight.

Oui, chérie,” a soft, melodious voice sounded and Alec watched as Desirée came out of the guest room and stepped into the studio.

“Alec,” she gasped, her jaw dropping.

She was stunning, wearing faded jeans and a loose-fitted top, her hair in a messy bun, but Alec pushed down the attraction and focused on the fact that she’d lied to him. He wasn’t going to be made a fool of.

“Good afternoon, Miss Grimaud,” he said tersely, indignation running through his veins. “Have I come at a bad time?”

Chérie, lave tes mains, s’il te plaît,” Desirée said and gently maneuvered Juliette to stand. “It’s almost dinner time.”

Juliette scampered off towards the cottage and Desirée followed her with her eyes until she was safely indoors. Then she turned back to her visitor.

“Alec…”

“You lied to me, Rae,” he said in a clipped tone. “How am I supposed to believe anything you said was real when you hid the fact that you have a daughter from me?”

“Why did you come back here?” she asked, shoving her hands into her jean pockets to keep them from shaking.

“I’m here on business,” he said coldly and Desirée felt an iron hand grip her heart. “And unless I get some answers from you,” he said ominously and stepped closer so that their faces were mere inches apart, “I’m going to assume that you don’t want my client to know you have a child.”

“Are you threatening me, Alec?” she clenched her jaw and met his cold green eyes defiantly. He looked like a snake that had zeroed in on his prey and was waiting for her to flinch before he launched his attack.

“Yes,” he said bluntly and was instantly rewarded with a stinging slap to his cheek.

“Get the hell off my property, Mr. Grayson,” Desirée hissed and strode towards the cottage.

Alec gave Desirée a few minutes before following her inside, collecting himself and pushing down the anger that had surfaced when he was confronted with her lies. He wasn’t going to get anywhere with accusations and threats. A part of him felt ashamed that he’d even tried it in the first place.