Chapter 1

DESERTED DESIRE

All rights reserved - Liliane Grouse (c) 2012

“How may I help you, Mr. Steele?” Alec Grayson said from behind his mahogany desk, his arms folded and slightly creasing his immaculate suit sleeves. His dark brown hair was short, the ends spiked with just the right amount of wax. His eyebrows were knitted together over a pair of pale green eyes that closely observed the potential client on the other side of the desk.

Some might say that Alec Grayson was compensating for something with his sleek, masculine office and ridiculously oversized desk, but he had quite a few references to attest to the contrary. If anything, his large desk was a testament to the size of his ego. Alec Grayson was a shark. Corporate Law was the water in which he swam, and small businesses made for tasty snacks.

The man now sitting before him, decked out in an Italian suit, with short blond hair and steely gray eyes, was every bit as ruthless in his field. Alec knew Jack Steele by reputation alone, and the business man of European descent had been referred to the firm by a friend of Alec’s from his years at Harvard.

“I have received an offer for one of Steele Enterprises’ subsidiaries,” Jack shifted in his seat. “It’s an eyesore and frankly, I’m happy to be rid of it.”

“So we are talking a standard business transaction here?” Alec frowned and leaned back in his chair, the leather squeaking softly. “I’m confident one of my associates will make sure the deal goes through smoothly for you.”

“I have reason to expect complications, Mr. Grayson,” Jack said, his voice cool and detached. “I was told you are experienced in conducting delicate negotiations.”

Alec scoffed. “I wouldn’t call my methods delicate, Mr. Steele. But you’ve certainly intrigued me. Please, continue.”

Jack cleared his throat before speaking. “Steele Enterprises was my mother’s. When she passed away, she left 33 percent of the shares to her daughter-in-law, my ex-wife. I have reason to believe she is manipulating my younger brother to gain controlling interest in the company. I want her gone, Mr. Grayson. She has no interest in the business itself, she’s only refusing to sell me her shares out of spite. To say it was a messy divorce is an understatement,” he grumbled.

“I must say, Mr. Steele, I have yet to see where my expertise fits into all of this,” Alec frowned.

“I am very well aware of your reputation, Mr. Grayson. You are a born negotiator and master manipulator. I want you to convince my ex-wife that she is better off not having any connections to my family. Convince her to sell her shares to me and cut all ties between us for good.”

Alec tilted his head slightly, sizing the man up. Clearly there was bad blood between Jack Steele and his ex-wife, and possibly between him and his brother, as well. The last thing Alec wanted was to act as mediator between feuding spouses. Women were a distraction, and whenever they were involved in business, things got messy.

“I will of course compensate you generously for your time,” Jack added smugly as though all things could be bought.

“I assure you, Mr. Steele,” Alec said coolly, “my standard fee will prove costly enough.” Alec had decided he didn’t like this man, and putting him in his place was a bonus.

Whereas many a Texan oil millionaire would guffaw heartily at Alec’s fee, the clean-shaven European merely smirked. “I take that as a ‘yes’, Mr. Grayson. I’ll have my secretary forward the relevant documentation to your office.”

“I will see what I can do,” Alec said amicably and stood to shake Jack’s hand. The blond man’s fingers were cool and slender, much like the man himself. Alec made sure his handshake was firm and strong and when he let go, he buzzed the intercom for his secretary.