Chapter 2

“Alec Grayson…” a female voice said languorously and Alec felt a frisson of forebodance go up his spine. It wasn’t uncommon for him to be solicited for new donations while attending a charity event but it always annoyed him. He put on his best smile and turned around.

“Mrs. Berenger,” he said smoothly and brought the older woman’s gloved hand to his lips. Elisabeth Berenger always wore gloves these days. He suspected she was self-conscious about her bony, liver spotted hands that used to be adorned with diamonds. “Pleasure to see you again.”

“My dear boy,” Mrs. Berenger fussed, “It’s been far too long. I didn’t see you at last month’s costume party at the Dixon’s.”

“Oh, I look awful in a mask,” Alec joked. “I’m sure you looked stunning, though.”

“Oh, tush,” Mrs. Berenger chuckled. “I’m an old woman, but my granddaughter…”

Alec smiled broadly. He was very well acquainted with Mrs. Berenger’s granddaughter, but he was sure the older woman wouldn’t appreciate to hear the details of their latest encounter. Especially since they’d gotten better acquainted in Mrs. Berenger’s linen closet during dessert at the annual Berenger Ball last November.

“I’m sure she is a very lovely girl,” he said smoothly. “However, I’m afraid I’ve kept my date waiting for far too long. Will you excuse me?”

“Uh… of course, but…”

“So nice to see you again, Mrs. Berenger,” Alec said and kissed her hand again, eager to get away before she could bring up the topic of donations.

“But… Mr. Grayson…”

Mrs. Berenger’s voice faded away as Alec wound his way through the throng of people in the room. Another bullet dodged. A brief glance at his Rolex and Alec decided he’d worked the party long enough. He looped an arm around his date for the night – Alicia Silvers, a Victoria Secrets model with legs up to her ears – and whispered in her ear it was time to go. She chugged the last of her champagne and set the flute down on the nearest passing tray.

Alicia was in a good mood after all the free champagne she’d guzzled and made him quite happy even before they’d reached his apartment. Opening the door for the couple, the driver kept his gaze heavenwards as Alec zipped up his pants and slid out of the backseat. The driver then offered his hand to Alicia, who giggled at the VIP treatment. Alec was already halfway to the front door when she made it out of the car.

-

Alec stepped into the shower, hoping that by the time he got out, Alicia would have made herself scarce. That was the problem with bringing a woman home – he had to be tactful in dismissing her. He would have gone home with her, instead, and avoided the whole situation, but she’d mentioned she was living in Brooklyn, and that was enough for him to decide to bring her back to his own place. He really should ask where a woman lived before he asked her out…

Well, at least Saturday dates were easier to send on their way. He had prior obligations, after all. Brunch with the parents.

He shuddered at the thought of the girl from a few months ago who’d suggested she accompanied him. Puh-lease. Like he’d bring any woman he bedded over to meet his parents. George and Gail Grayson had standards, and safe to say, no-one he’d spent the night with so far had met their qualifications.

Not that he wanted a woman who met their qualifications, but that was beside the point. His mother would gladly set him up with one of her socialite friends’ daughters – or granddaughters – but there was no way he was touching that hornet’s nest.