Chapter 9.

Felix

"Hey, can you pull over my Dad's office for a minute? I need to collect some files from him." Evelyn mumbled next to me as we drove our way back home after dropping Owen for school.

"Why do you need files?" Grumbling, I pulled over as I bit back a smile having annoyed her.

"Oh, I'm applying for President. Those are the files I need." Passing me a quick sarcastic response, she unbuckled her seatbelt as we walked into the building.

"Hey Sarah!" She greeted the receptionist in a voice so sweet, I almost gasped. The woman is complete devil around me. "Did my Dad drop by some files for the new brand?"

"Good Morning Ma'am." Sarah chirped along. "Yes he did. Here you go." Just as she handed Evelyn the file, we were interrupted by a cough. Turning around, we came across her father, standing with a hand over his hip with a smile tugging across his lips.

"Were you tryin' to escape meeting your Dad, huh?" Noticing him, she ran over to hug him.

"Dad!" She mumbled behind him. "Of course not, I just expected you to be busy."

"Never busy to not have time for my princess." He ruffled her hair as if she was a child-I mean yes she's childish but that's different-and she grumbled.

I admire the guy, not just professionally but personally as well. He's been handling this business since years and yet is such a family man. Probably the only sane person in her family, given that her mother is always trying to get a grandchild from us and her brother, well, I never really come across him.

"Princess." I couldn't help but snicker.

"Did you say anything?" He raised his eyebrows.

"Who? Me? Nope." Pushing my hand ahead, I took his for a handhake.

"Anyways, did you get the invitation for the Smith's charity event tomorrow?"

"I-I don't know." Mumbling in confusion, I pulled my phone out of my the pocket, swiping to see the e-mail. "Ah, yes I got it."

"Charity event!" She giggled like a child who had been told about being taken to an amusement park. "I love the Smith's Charity event! We'll go right?"

No, just refuse.

It was the Smith's event, the lady was a pretty good friend to Stella, meaning she would definitely be there, given that she's in the city. There's no way in hell she would ever miss the opportunity to flaunt a dress or jewellery or just her very perfect life.

To my right, I glanced at Evelyn, looking at me with expectant eyes and a smile still tugging across her lips while her father stood smiling at us. Come on, she has done so much for us-Owen and I. Couldn't I just fulfill one tiny wish of hers?

"Of course," Gingerly placing my hand on the small of her back, I smiled. "We'll go." About Stella, we'll take care of that later.

×■×

Evelyn

Something was definitely troubling him, I could sense a trouble lurking behind his eyes. I wouldn't dare to break the peaceful silence in the car in order to ask him and instead get a sarcastic reply about being Owen's mother, not his wife blah blah.

Felix stopped the car outside a mall instead of dropping me back home. Turning towards him, I opened my mouth to question only to get cut off.

"Get yourself a dress-for the event." Before I could question, he was on my side of the door, opening it and practically dragging me out of the car.