7.

☆✼★━━━━━━━━━━━━★✼☆☆✼★━━━━━━━━━━━━★✼☆

Four days later, she was dressed in black, both physically and mentally.

A week later, she visited her ailing father, suffering from esophageal cancer, who had completely remained mum on hearing the news. It was like his soul had been sucked up.

Two weeks later, she was at the deserted bridge again in the middle of the night. This time, on the edge of it, a centimeter from the clawing hands of death.

All because of that one accident.

Granny was reckless? Is that what life had come to? It didn't even seem coincidental anymore. Granny was always reckless, but it was plain absurd and cruel.

Why?

Why was the person who stood by her side, the one who had withstood all of Sophie's tantrums dying to something so trivial. Wastage.

Was it destined that she was stuck all by herself? In a world full of emptiness?

So many questions, so many reasons for her to jump.

Jump.

Do it already.

Nothing is going to change.

She took a deep breath, leaning across to jump into the sea calling out her name.

It's now or never.

"Wait!" a familiar deep voice called out her name, stopping her from jumping.

The voice sounded frantic, and she thought about who it sounded like. Realization dawned upon her gradually.

Felix.

It was like the sea and Felix were fighting for dominance.

Sea.

Felix.

Sea?

Felix.

She turned back, facing him who was dressed in all black, from what she could make out from the light of the lamppost.

"I have something! Before you continue with whatever you're tryna do, I just wanted to know if you preferred sunny side up or scrambled eggs,"

She blinked at him.

He stared back, his face unreadable (partially from the absence of light). But there was a strong ferocity behind his glinting eyes, contrary to his face. No concern, no sympathy. His eyes told a story, undecipherable but strong, pulling her to the reality of what she was going to do.

Sophie's breath hitched. She stumbled slightly and clutched onto the railings behind her, as she gulped. Her head became a whirlwind of thoughts and her heart pounded at the height she was at. Although she was filled with much sorrow, she could not process what she was about to do.

She was about to take her life.

Felix casually sauntered towards her, and pulled her over back onto the platform, away from the claws of death. She didn't react, she didn't say anything. She just clutched Felix's shirt for dear life as tears trailed down her eyes.

Too shaken.

She took in Felix's comforting scent, felt safe in his arms, close to his body, although he was a stranger. A freaking stranger.

"Promise me you'll never try again" he said in a flattened voice, void of any emotion.

Gathering her strength, she meekly mumbled, "I-I'll try not to"

She wiped her tears hastily, and glanced at him. He was staring into the night sky, the moonlight reflecting onto his fluorescent skin.

Tired from waiting for his response, she closed her eyes, nuzzling her neck at the crook of his shoulder. Something wet fell on the back of her neck.

Opening her eyes once more, she saw a lone tear escaping from his eye.

"Good enough," he replied. 

☆✼★━━━━━━━━━━━━★✼☆☆✼★━━━━━━━━━━━━★✼☆

'Will you stay by my side
Will you promise me
If I let go of your hand, you'll fly away and break
I'm scared scared scared of that'

-Butterfly