Chapter 31

Chapter 31

Ruby's POV

"Over here, Ruby!" I heard my name called to the front of the shop. A glimpse of that red hair and I smiled.

"Hey Ingrid." I said as she handed over a paper bag of chocolates to a customer. It smelled like peppermint and chocolate.

"Hola amiga. What brings you to the best place on earth?" She said, wiping her hands on her apron.

"I need to tell you something."

Her eyebrows rose. "Sounds serious."

I shrugged. "I don't know. I don't want it to be serious."

"Let me get this girl's order and I'll meet you at that back table."

I walked over and sat in a comfortable plush chair with wooden legs. There weren't as many people here as last time, probably because it was a Sunday morning.

"Okay," I heard Ingrid say and she approached our table holding steaming hot cups in her hands, "a dark chocolate peppermint latte for you..." she handed me my all-time favorite hot drink.

"Thanks." I smiled.

"No problem. Now, tell me everything."

I paused before saying, "I think I like Ryder."

Her eyebrows shot up and she smiled so big that I thought her cheeks should surely hurt by now.

"I knew it! I totally called it too!" She did a little arm dance in her chair, getting a few weird looks from other customers.

"It's not that big of a deal." I lied. It was a completely big deal. I couldn't like Ryder, anybody but him. He was my friend, but also a player.

"Not a big deal?" Ingrid said. "Of course it is! You like him and he likes you!"

I stopped sipping my drink. "What?!"

She giggled. "You are so blind darling. It's obvious that you two have a thing for each other."

I shook my head. "No. Ryder doesn't like me. He thinks we're just friends."

"Do you want to be more than friends with him?" She asked.

I had thought about this so many times. This whole past week I had been avoiding him, but it was actually kind of easy. I hadn't physically seen him since what I call the 'bedroom accident'.

I was freaking out. Completely over exaggerating this whole predicament.

It was just a small crush. I would get over it, like any other one I had. But the others I hadn't ignored, now that I thought of it. Because they weren't close friends that I would be afraid of losing.

Damn you Ryder Daniels.

"I don't know..." I dropped my head in my hands and groaned. What was I to do?

"Hey, don't stress. Maybe if you avoid him then you won't like him that much. But I still think you two should get it on."

"Ingrid!" I said, shocked.

She held up her hands. "Just sayin'."

I shook my head and gulped down the rest of my scorching drink, probably burning my poor pipes on the way down.

Maybe Ingrid was right. Ignoring him for a little longer could make my liking for his arrogant, narcissistic, self-absorbed ways go away.

But isn't that what I wanted?

On Monday the next day, I quickly got dressed and rode my bike to school. People had gotten used to the fact that I rode a motorbike now, and they didn't all stare in wonder now when I parked it in the school lot.

My first class was with Ryder, and I could feel my heart racing in nervousness.

Speak of the devil.

My pace slowed when I caught sight of Ryder down the hall. But he wasn't alone.

That Monica girl from the kissing booth was busy clinging on to his bicep and was kissing him.

A sharp pang of anger flooded to my heart.

Jealousy.

No, no, no, no, no. I can't be jealous. I can't let my feelings go overboard.

Then Ryder's lips disconnected with Monica's and he moved his head to look for something.

Then his eyes landed on mine.

I don't know what happened to me, but I just stood there, staring at him staring at me. My lungs were frozen and wouldn't breathe and the beating of my heart was the only thing I heard.

Usually, I would walk over and we would go to first period together, just talking like normal friends.

But this time, I turned on my heel quickly and fast walked down a different hall.

This was not good. No. This was why I hated myself for liking him. He was a player, one that could make you feel good for a long time and then crumple your heart in two seconds flat. I couldn't risk that. He doesn't like me, so that makes it easier for me to forget him, right?

I found another hallway to first period and quickly sat in a seat far away from where Ryder and I usually sit. My desk now was in between two girls that looked like they'd be anywhere else but here. I guess the feelings mutual today.

I saw Ryder walk in and immediately ducked my head and acted like I was texting someone.

"Okay class..." the teacher started to talk but I didn't hear a word she said.

I could literally feel Ryder's confused gaze on my back, and it made me squirm and uncomfortable.

"Ruby, are you alright?" the teacher asked and the whole class turned to look at me. I nodded.

"So anyway..." she went on.

I let out a sigh and slumped a little ways in my seat, twirling the pen in my fingers.

I looked at the time. Only thirty more seconds...

When the bell rang, I practically leaped out of my seat and stumbled my way to the door, ignoring the weird looks from everyone.

I walked very fast down the hall and turned the corner. When I looked back at Ryder, he was searching for someone. Probably Monica.

Locking myself in the bathroom, I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding and placed my hands on the sink.

Ryder, you heart stealing bastard.

•••

HI BABES I LOVE YOU :)