Chapter 9

Chapter 9

"What the hell are you doing in here?" Ryder said while I stood dumbfounded by the door like a statue.

What was I supposed to say? 'Sorry for interrupting your little "playtime" with miss blonde over here but I needed to escape from the crowd?'

No. I just stood there like an idiot until the blonde girl stood up in her bras and panties and walked to the bathroom door. "Uh, Ryder, I'll call you later..." then she shut the door and I heard the sink water running.

"Sorry, I just, um, needed to get away from, uh, the people..." I pointed towards the door and shut my mouth.

Ryder just looked at me weirdly. I couldn't help but notice that he was shirtless and his abs were calling out to me like some sort of beacon.

"Take a picture, it'll last longer." He said and my cheeks blushed from embarrassment. Thank God it was dim in here.

"I'll just go." I started towards the door handle again, but suddenly Ryder stopped me.

"No, don't it's fine," he got out of the bed and pulled on his shirt then stood in front of me.

"What are you doing here at Will's party?" he asked.

"I was invited. What about you?"

He shrugged. "We're sort of close, I guess. Just thought that I could get some action." And he had the nerve to wink at me.

"Yeah...sorry about that, I should really get going-"

He grabbed me arm before I could go anywhere and stared into my eyes. Goosebumps formed on my arms and a shiver ran down my back.

"Did you ride your bike here?" he said in a husky voice.

I nodded.

"I want to show you something." Then he opened the door and led us downstairs. Will spotted me but his grin turned into a frown when he saw Ryder coming down the stairs next to me, his hand still wrapped around my forearm.

We made it outside and the night air was like a new breath to my lungs. The stars were dimly shining above and people were starting to head home in their cars.

I looked around for my Ducati but it was nowhere in sight.

"Shit." I said loudly and Ryder stopped to look at me with his eyebrows raised.

"What?"

"Someone fucking stole my bike." I started to run towards the curb where I had put it, but all there was was an empty plastic bottle.

"God damn it!" I kicked the water bottle across the street and sat on the curb with my head in my hands. I heard Ryder's footsteps come up beside me and felt his warm arm curl around my shoulders.

I had no tears, for I wasn't sad, just angry. Very angry.

"You're sure someone stole it?" Ryder's voice said close to my ear.

"How else would it disappear Ryder? Obviously some shithead asshole put it in their car and drove off." I yelled.

He looked taken aback but quickly regained himself.

"I'm sorry, I'm just mad." I said.

"You don't need to apologize, Ruby," he tightened his arms around me, "it can't be that hard to find, could it? I mean, it's a Ducati for Christ sake. If we see someone riding around with it, we'll know. Not a lot of people own them around here."

I looked up at him and spoke. "You really think we'll find it?"

He nodded and smiled a genuine smile. One that I've never seen on him before.