Chapter 16

Chapter 16

I woke up the next morning with a lazy face. I hadn't gotten any sleep last night since Ryder woke me up.

I smacked my face with my hand and groaned. This was gonna be a long trip. I hadn't even asked my mom if I could go yet.

I walked down the stairs and looked at the time. 10 o'clock a.m. I wanted to punch everything.

"Hey sweetie," my mom came over and pecked me on the head with a kiss. I have never seen her this happy on a Saturday morning.

"Hey mom, aren't you supposed to be at work?"

She shook her head. "Not until tonight. But guess what?"

"What?"

"I got promoted!" she squealed in delight. I hugged her tightly and was so happy for her.

"Wait," I back up, "you're a lawyer, how do you get promoted?"

"Well, I have to be at the office more now," more? "But I get a raise in salary and the firm had this program that'll get you a scholarship in college. Isn't that great?"

"Yeah, but what's the point of a scholarship if I don't earn it?" I asked.

She shrugged. "If you don't want it, that's fine Ruby. But I was just wanting to offer it to you."

"Thanks mom." I hugged her.

"Also, is it okay if I go on a trip this Christmas break? It's to Oklahoma..." I had my begging face on and hopeful eyes.

She sighed. "Why?"

"It's for a championship match. Not for me, but for the neighbor. We've become good friends and he was wondering if I wanted to come with him as like a...manager, sort of..."

My mom had her lips pursed to the sides and I could tell she was debating on whether or not this was a good idea.

"So what you're asking me is if you can go halfway across the country with a boy I've never met by yourselves so he can compete and you can 'manage'?" she said.

"Well, when you put it like that..."

"I'll let you go, but I have to meet him today." My mom said.

I nodded. "Yeah, I'll go get him right now."

So here I was, running across the lawn at nine o'clock on a Saturday morning to my narcissistic neighbor.

Why did I even want to go? Spending more time with him is not what was on my schedule.

I paused at his front door before knocking three times. I waited, and waited, and finally when I was about to turn back around and tell my mom that I didn't want to go, the door swung open to a half-naked Ryder in a white towel.

His hair was wet and I saw the low 'v' of his body and tingled.

"My eyes are up here, sweetheart." He smirked and I instantly blushed.

"My mom said that if I wanted to go she'd have to meet you first."

He smiled. "Sure. I'll be over in a bit." I nodded and turned around to leave and quickly walked back to my house.

•••

"Coming!" I yelled while I was stepping down the stairs to a ringing doorbell.

I opened the door and revealed Ryder in a grey cuffed up v neck with nice jeans and his hair looking softer than ever. "Hey, Ruby." He said.