Meeting Amber

Recap:

The doorbell interupted my comforting her and startled Amber. She climbed off of my lap and let me go to the door.

I opened the door and froze at who was in front of me.

"Hello Layla, miss me?" Jake was standing there with his hands in his pockets.

End of recap.

"Jake. What are you..." I started, but was cut off by a scream from the living room.

Without another word I ran to the living room. Her father or not that was my baby and she needed me now.

"Amber what happened? Why did you scream baby?" I asked coming in and picking her up off from the couch. 

"Pider!" she pointed to the floor and I laughed. 

"It's okay Amber that isn't a spider it's just a bit of lint. It probably came off from one of the blankets. I told her smiling. 

She frowned, " Dats not funny mommy! Don' laff at me!" 

"Mommy!?! Layla, please, tell me she's lying." Jake shouted from behind me.  

I was going to answer him, but Amber beat me to it, "Lying bad miser she my mommy! Who are you?" 

"Hunny I'm home! Why did you leave the door open? Someone could just...... Oh." my mom walked into the living room and saw Jake.  

She took note of the akwardness and took action as she always did, " Amber how about you come help me make some cookies and let your mommy talk to her friend." 

Amber looked to me for permission and I smiled letting her go to my mom. They went into the kitchen and Jake came and sat next to me. 

Akwardness was practicly throwing a party here by the time he spoke. 

"A mom huh? Never thought you wanted to have kids. Then again I never thought you would be the girl to run away without saying goodbye first either."  

"Jake stop it I'm not the bad guy here I left because I needed to okay. Sure I could have done it differently, but it needed to happen. I needed it to happen." 

"Needed what to happen? For you to go off for four years then come back with some kid calling you mommy? What the hell happened Layla, why did you run?"

I sighed, "This isn't how I wanted coming back to be, it shouldn't be this way. You're my best friend Jake and right now I need that friend to just trust me and know that I can't answer his questions right now. I will eventually, but not now. Okay?"

 "If not now then when? In your next letter on the way out of the door? You're asking me to trust you, but I don't know if I can. How do I know that first chance you get you won't be halfway gone before anyone knows about it?" Jake was falling apart in front of me and I think little pieces of my heart were dying because of it.

I reached over and ran my hand through his mesy hair, "I wasn't going to write you one of those letters Jake because it meant saying goodbye. You once told me that I could never tell you goodbye, because you would always be there for me. I may not have been there Jake, but I never said goodbye. Coming back here now I relised that though I may not have been ready yet I always intended to come back. Back to home, back to family, and back to you Jake. You are the one person in the world who I can never say goodbye to, because if I do then you'll be gone and I'll be that little girl ing kindergarden crying by herself again."

He smiled and looked at me a moment before reaching over and pulling me into a long needed hug. I smiled, now I was really home. Here in his arms, and then I relised that I hadn't stopped loving him, and probably never would.

"Is the blood bath over with yet you two or is it still unsafe to emerge from the kitchen?" Mom called from the hall.

Jake laughed, "It's all good in here Ma you can come in. No blood, but there is lot's of hugs going around."

She and Amber came back into the living room, but Amber was hiding behind Mom's legs so Jake wouldn't see her.

"Amber why are you hiding over there? Don't you wanna meet mommy's friend?" I called.

She shook her head, frightened almost. I started laughing.

"What's so funny Layla?" Jake asked looking at me like I had lost it.

"You scared her and she won't come out from behind Mom. See this is what happens when you aren't nice to litte girls Jake. Now you need to fix this because I really want her to meet you."

I took a step back and stretched cracking my back, "Huh, well I'm going to go and change into some comfertable clothes and help Mom with dinner by the time we are done you two better be best buds or we are gonna have issues mister."

He smiled, but nodded and on my way out of the room I kissed Amber on her forehead.

This just got a whole lot more confusing, but if it meant having Jake back I would deal. Now, they just need to get used to each other.