Coming Home (Chapter 1)

I sighed and tapped my fingers on the steering wheel, my frusteration getting to me once more. Looking at the backseat through my rearveiw mirror, I smiled. Amber was in the back, sound asleep.

     Then my thoughts went back to where we were going and I tensed. Four years have passed since I left home and the only time I have contacted anyone from home was the ocasional letter to my mom to tell her that I was okay and not to worry.

  She doesn't know yet about Amber, nobody from home does. I tell Amber stories about everyone and yes she does know who her dad is. She also knows that Jake doesn't know that he is a daddy.

     That's the other reason I have to go back, I was a fool to think that I could take care of Amber without anyone elses help. Plus, Amber has a right to know Jake, and him her. I have no right to take that away from them.

   Pulling up at a store about five minutes away from my mom's house, I parked and turned off the car.

   "Are we dere yet mommy?" Amber asked from the back.

  I looked back at her and laughed at her cute little face. She was still half asleep, but never sleeps deeply when we are on long drives.

  "No baby, but we're close. I just stopped here so we could go potty and staighten up before we go see Grandma. Okay?" I told her as I was unbuckling.

  "Otay mommy. I wanna see Gama." Amber was smiling now and I knew that if I didn't I didn't get her out of the car soon she would be bouncing in her seat.

 I got out of the car and opened the back door to help her get out of the car. She didn't want to walk yet though so she climbed on my back and I had her diper bag in one hand, while I held her up with my other.

   We went inside and I went straight to the check out lane so I could ask where the bathroom is.

    "Excusse me, but where is the bathroom?" I asked the lady.

  She looked up and smiled. I did a double take on the person I was looking at.

  "Looks like those tests were needed afterall huh? Anyways the restrooms are at the back near the asile where I met you." She told me and I knew she was trying not to laugh.

  "Thanks Rachel, and yeah the test was right, but I love my little girl. If I could go back and change things I wouldn't change the part where I got pregnant." I told her with a smile.

  She nodded and I went back to the bathroom. Amber was almost asleep when I set here down on the baby change station.

  "Okay Ams do you want to put big kid undies on or do you want another pull up so you can go back to sleep when we get there?" I asked her, getting into her back.

  Amber smiled, "Big kid! Ima big kid mommy!"

    I laughed, "Not quite, but you're getting there. Come on time to get changed."

Amber helped me get her changed and I staightend up our hair. My make up was a little smeared so i fixed that as well.

    After we were done changing I said goodbye to Rachel and drove the rest of the way to my mom's. I couldn't bring myself to look at Jake's house, not yet. First, I need to get through showing Abby to my mom.

     I knocked on the door, Amber hid behind my legs and we waited for someone to open the door.

  To my surprise, it wasn't my mom that opened the door, but Jake's step-mom. She froze when she saw me.

"Hi Mrs. Wood. Is my mom here, I kind of need to talk to her." I asked her.

   She nooded and went to go get Mom. When she came back though she went out of the door and went to her house, not even bothering to say goodbye.

     When I looked back my mom was there, looking at me like I was going to disappear any second.

   "Hi mommy." I said quietly.

      She burst into tears and enveloped me into a hug. Then, she started apologising and going on about how she missed me and wished I had never left.

           Then she froze and looked behind me at the little girl pulling on her hand.

      Amber looked up at Mom curiously, "Are you Gama?"