Prolouge Part 1

The first time I ever saw Jake I was crying. We were in third grade, it was recess time and it was only two weeks after my dad had died. I couldn't affored to miss any more school and some boys were picking on me for crying. He told them to leave me alone, and even back them no one ever questioned him. Not because he was a bully, just because he was Jake, the cool guy who was friends even with the nerds. I wasn't his best friend because of that either, actually I had punched him in the face for it. Every day though he bugged me at resess to come and play with him, eventually I had gotten sick of it, so I went with him. Now though we are inseperable, Jacob Wood and Layla Carmitchel, best firends forever. Right?

  It was right after graduation and we had decided to throw a joint open house so it would be easier on our parents, who gracefully excused themselves from being anywhere near our party. We held the celeberation at my house and now, since he had moved, Jake lived right next door. Everything was going great until Jake pulled me with him to play truth or dare, the thing was we were both drunk and hardly knew what we were doing.

    When we sat down I looked around at who else was playing. I saw The cheerleader, Kay Moore, basketball captan, Kyle Westwood, and Ryan Billings, the class clown in the circle. A very sober Samantha Cross sat in the corner of the room with a mp3 playing, I'm guessing she was a designated driver for some of our guests. Jake laughed next to me and I turned looking at him like he had grown a second head.

  "What's so funny J?" I asked, luckly not drun k enough that my words were slurred.

     He smiled evilly and motioned for me to come closer. I did so, a neon caution sign going off in my head.

   Jake leaned over and whispered in my ear, " I picked dare Layla. Pucker up."

    Before I could even register what he had said he was kissing me, hard. I don't know if it was the alcohaol or the fact that I had a crush on him, but I kissed him back. Wolf whistiles brought me back to my senses and I pushed him away. I stood up and ran out of the room, the house, and into Jake's living room. My pacing had only been going for a moment when a confused J ake came in.

    "Layla why did you leave? If it was the kiss I'm sorry okay it was just a stupid dare. Now would you please come back to the party?" He said calmly, worry clear in his voice.

   I shook my head, mad now, "No! I don't want to go back to that stupid party, and definitly not with you! You are such a jerk!"

    I picked up a pillow from the couch and threw it at him. He caught it easily and tossed it aside.

       "What's wrong with you? This is our party, you were more excited than me for this party! Why are you acting like this? Was it because I kissed you? If it is then I'm sorry! Okay, I'm sorry!" He yelled back at me.

    I walked up to him and slapped him, "No! No... I.... Don't say that. Please, just don't say that..."

 I was crying now and my hands clutched at the front of his T-shirt. He wrapped his arms around me and pulled me close to him, trying to stop my tears.

    "Shhh. It's okay Layla, everythings okay. I'm right here." Jake whispered to me, calming me slightly.

  I pulled his shirt harder and he sighed, backing off. Wiping my eyes, I sat on the couch and looked at the floor, unable to meet his wooried gaze.

     "Layla...... Why are you so upset about the dare, it didn't mean anything. It was just a stupid game." He said his hands going through his hair.

    More tears came now, gosh this alcohol was really getting to me. He kneeled down infront of me concern all over fis face.

    "Please! Please. Stop crying Layla. Come on La please. Tell me what I did, help me fix this." He was desprete.

     Aparently, so was I, leaning foreward, I pressed my forehead against his, "Kiss me."

   His eyebrows furrowed, obviously confused, "Layla, are you drunk?"

  Not answering, I stood up and stormed away from him. My anger was fuel to the fire. He thought I was drunk. I knew this would be his reaction if I ever fessed up about my crush, but as the  pain took over, I relised something.

     "It's not a crush anymore." My voice seemed to echo around the room with how quiet we were a second ago.

  "What crush? What are you talking about Layla?" His voice was like a slap to the face.

   Turning, I sighed, "The one I've had on you since freshmen year. I thought I still had it now, but I relised something tonight."

      "What's that?"

  I refused to look in his eyes in fear of the rejection I might see there, "I relised tha it's not a crush any more. It's something else entirely."

 Jake sighed, "Come here Layla."

 I looked up at him with his open arms and walked towards him. He smiled and wrapped his arms around me hugging me tightly. A few more tears escaped from my eyes.

   "It's time to stop the tears Layla. Time to face your fears." Jake whispered in my ear.

  My face must of held my surprise when I looked up because he chucklled and dropped his arms. He wipped the tears from my face and leaned down, pressing his lips to mine lightly. My arms went around his neck, and my hands tangled in his hair.

    He picked me up and wrapped my legs around his waist as the kiss grew more intense. He carried me to his room and we laid down on his bed. If we could of kissed forever I think we would of, but alas we had to breathe.

  "What are we doing Jake? Why did you kiss me?" I asked still not letting him go completely.

     He graced me with a smile, "You asked me to Layla, well that and I really really wanted to. I wish you would of told me back then about your crush so that we didn't have to fall by ourselves. Afterall, it would of been so much more fun if we could of fallen together."

   I was shocked to say the least, but it was definitely not a bad thing, "Okay, now just shut up and kiss me Jake."

   He laughed, but complied anyways.

        I am Layla Carmitchel, high school graduate, small town girl, in love with my best friend, and no longer a virgin.