THE MALL RATS

SKY LANDED ON her back roughly, knocking out all the air she had in her lungs. For a moment, she thought she'd seen black dots clouding her vision before she started to breath again. She gasped for air and slowly sat up, barely being able to move. She didn't understand. She'd done the kick off any other time, now all of a sudden she could barely land on her feet. 

   Pain spread through her back as she attempted to stand up. "The grass looks soft, but really, it's just the street but with hairs," Sky glared, trying to hold back dramatic coughs that would cause unnecessary attention. "Traitor!" She whispered to the grass, also trying to not make it known that she was mad at grass.

   "Who's a traitor?"

   Sky flinched upon hearing the soft call. She didn't know why. Most likely because all she could hear was ringing. She turned, and saw El standing there. She had a solemn look on her face but more confusion of anything. Her eyebrows were furrowed, mainly from hearing Sky hiss something at someone but no one was there.

   Sky pondered for a while why El was at her house. She'd never been here before. Sky didn't remember telling her how to get there. Actually, sky didn't remember telling her much this summer since she's been stuck to mike's disgusting lips.

   Sky's eyes grew large at her being caught talking to...well, herself mainly, and let her eyes plummet to the ground. "Uh, no one. Just me calling my... my legs traitors! Since I can't land this very basic kick off." Sky scolded herself, unknowingly confusing El more than she already had.

   El stammered quietly, trying to stay on topic. When sky didn't hear her leave, she looked up. Sky furrowed her brows at the girl, "What's wrong?"

   "It's about Mike."

|||

   The skateboard slid out from beneath her, and Max stumbled, "Shit!"

   El stepped on it. She pressed down on the edge and lifted it up. She walked towards Max with a determined expression on her face, one that only made Max confused. She too, hadn't seen much of El this summer and she was kind of let on to believe that El didn't even like her.

   El handed Max's skateboard back to her. "Hi."

   "Hi?" Max's face scrunched up.

   Sky walked from behind el and stood next to her. More like crouched, since her back hurt much worse now. She glanced at Max's house and bad memories of Billy came rushing back. Sky turned back to max but she had been watching her carefully.

   "No," she denied softly. Sky met her gaze. "He's not here." Max watched sky let out a relieved sigh and it made her feel bad. It wasn't her who had hurt sky but it was her step-brother who did. She felt like she was responsible.

   "Can we talk?" El asked, a hopeful displayed upon her usually smiley face.

   Max glanced between sky and el. She was confused yet concerned. Confused because El had never shown interest in being her friend before and concerned because Sky told her that she would never come to her house. "Uh, sure."

   After a few moments the girls were settled in Max's room. El sat on Max's bed, more in the middle. Sky laid next to her on her stomach. She had Ice on her back courtesy of max and she had her head in her hands, staring up at the red haired female curiously.

   The ice was numbing sky's back and it felt nice. She was glad she had made it here without crying, because she surly felt like she could. She thought she'd done fine with entering Max's house but subconsciously she'd put one of Max's chairs against the door. Only Max and El saw it. Sky didn't exactly remember doing it.