Chapter 38

(Y/N)

Age 9 :

Scarlett sat with me in the grass in my open backyard, my older brother joining us as well as we ate our sandwiches.

The sun was bright in the infinite blue sky, and I had to shield my face from it as the heat gradually rose the longer we sat out there.

My new best friend took a sip of her drink before speaking. "Your birthday is tomorrow, right?"

I nodded, smiling at her. "Yes! My mom said that my party would start at six."

"Six thirty!" My brother corrected me, and I pushed him playfully.

Scarlett nodded in understanding, wiping her hands on her skirt. "My dad said he could bring me over. I did pick out a present for you after all!"

Excitement bubbled from inside me, and I hugged her, happy to finally have a friend that wasn't afraid of me.

"Okay! I'll see you tomorrow then!" I exclaimed with a giggle.

My older brother stood from his spot, peering over his shoulder to the sky. "Let's get inside guys, it's getting hot out here."

As the three of us walked back towards my house, the smile on my face faded a little, as I thought about Tanner.

It has been a month since I was told not to talk to him anymore. I mean, he was older than me, and the only time we talked was at the bus stop, or in public places where we bump into each other, but I couldn't help but wonder...

Why did I have to stop talking to him?

My brother and parents never really explained that to me, so I felt a bit sad that he would no longer be around.

Oh well...

At least I had a new friend now, someone who didn't think I was weird!

Tomorrow was going to be the best birthday ever!

------------------

(Y/N)

The hand shaking me was what caused my head to lift from the pillow, a trail of drool running down my face.

My vision was still distorted from sleep, but through the cloudiness, I saw Clint's gentle face come into focus, looking down at me. "(Y/N)? Come on, it's time to go." He said in a whisper.

I had fallen asleep after Tanner offered to keep watch, and although I felt terrible, I knew I should accept, since I've been staying up all night every other time.

With a soft groan, I rolled off my stomach, and sat up in bed, feeling a slight cramp. Clint stepped back as I checked the time on my phone.

I was hit with a sudden wave of confusion as I saw the time as two thirty in the morning, and I turned to look at Clint.

But he had already walked out of the room, and my throat was too dry, and mouth too sour to call out, so I stood up, not before stumbling a little, my conscious still not fully at the shore of being awake.

Three pairs of quiet voices floated from the living room as I entered the dark hallway, and once I turned the corner, my eyes spotted Tanner and Adam leaned up against the wall, cigarettes hanging from their mouths.

Clint was sitting on my couch, hands fumbling together nervously as I stepped into view.

Tanner looked up at me, meeting my confused eyes as I tried to push the drowsiness away. Adam fell silent as well, eyes softening as he noticed me walk closer.