Somewhere ch-3

The office was cooled with what must have been the coldest air conditioner known to man. Tiny goose pumps ran up my arms from the artic blast or maybe it was from my nerves. The balding mans hand twitched slightly as he settled into his chair with a disapproving sigh. Now he began tapping a pack of cigarettes against the desk that he had taken from Aden. Who sat glaring at him in return looking so very harsh. Quickly I diverted my eyes to my hands that suddenly began to sweat.

"First day back and already Aden...Really?" he shook his head slightly as he talked. "...and you Charity, How many times have I told you about the..." He paused while he looked for the right words. "...the projects being out of the class rooms?" 

Stealing a look out of the corner of my eye; I saw the girl's face drop slightly. Pushing her glasses up her nose she spoke softly. "Pinky is not a project. He is a Mesocricetus Auratus who participates in experiments to achieve scientific data."  Again she adjusted her glasses but now she spoke with a bit more of a firm tone. "I would thank you to refrain from calling him anything but what he is. Besides I had not been able to secure his position in the science lab due to a lack of proper procedures. Which I might add was due to your overall lack of communication with your staff and faculty." She finished leaving me dumbfounded.

What was she even talking about? I tried to decipher her statement as I continued to look at her out of the corner of my eye. She was truly some kind of science nut or something. Her glasses were large with heavy black frames that caused her face to appear tiny but magnified her freckles. The long pale hair that she keeps tossing over her shoulder slightly curls at the end. Unlike most of the amazons here she was barely five foot tall I would think. She looked so young; she must be a freshman but she already knew the principal. Who now choose that moment to speak himself.

"What are you saying Miss Asher?" His face looked as puzzled as my mind.

She began to clear her throat as if she was going to reply but Aden beat her to the punch. "He is a smart ass hamster who knows how to pick locks. Okay? His cage was not right. Does that clear up this? Can I go?" his voice was agitated as he began to stand.

"Language Aden! Mind your tongue. Rules are in place here for a reason. Let's make it a week detention for that and these" He held up the bright red package of cigarettes. "I will not tolerate any of your trouble making this year Aden. Now you two get to class while I speak with Miss Jones."

Fear crept up in me now knowing I was going to be punished. Aden pushed up from his chair heading for the door with Charity on his heals. As the door clicked shut I tried not to look like a delinquent.

"Miss Jones I will warn you not to try and continue this behavior in the future." His voice held a stern pitch. "I do not care how you have been allowed to act at the other schools you have attended. It appears you were moved about a lot, probably due to your lack of focus." He scanned my folder.

He was totally off point there. Besides eating a sandwich and being attacked by a rat...umm hamster I was totally focused today. His voice broke into my thoughts again.

"Let's make it a week detention for you as well."

Not being able to stop myself I plead out, "What for a stupid sandwich in the gym?" Gripping the chair arms as my knuckles turned white from the pressure.

"Well that was a rule being broken. However smoking while in the company of a junior under the bleachers is the primary reason."

"No I don't smoke!" I protested loudly while having trouble containing my anger.

Narrowing his eyes he injected, "Then what exactly were you doing with Aden?"

I stumble to clear up the confusion. "I was just in his arms after I fell..."