Somewhere ch- 8

Somewhere Ch- 8

That first day back was horrible to say the least. The day started with several parents of the younger kids telling me what a good guy my dad was and that they would miss him. Even the poor old bus driver looked at me with pity as I climbed the steps. I know I looked a mess with the dark circles under my eyes and my hair pulled back loosely. Not to mention the five or ten pounds I had lost in the past week had my clothes hanging sloppily on my figure. No one person on the bus said anything directly to me but every one sent me looks and whispered. Quickly exiting the bus when it stopped I realized it was only getting worse.

A few teachers stopped me in the halls to explain I could have some extra time on my projects due to his death. One just shook his head sadly when I entered the room. The students would talk in low voices about the wreck exaggerating the details. This fueled my hatred as the day passed. A few girls seemed truly sad though as they spoke to me. Not knowing how to deal with all the grief and pity around me I just shut down, refusing to speak to anyone.

There was only one person here I truly wanted to talk to. Although I had no idea what I would say. Standing at my locker after third period I tried not scanning the faces that passed me for his. I had not seen Aden all day. We didn't have any classes together other than detention so he really had no reason to be there but I wanted to see him. A voice chuckled down the hall it sounded just like his. Whipping my head around I tried to see his face but the Amazon sized students blocked my vision. Closing my locker I headed to my next class. Pain shot deep into my stomach causing me to gag. My hands still shook as I opened the notebook to take notes. Ever since that night the agitation in my stomach burned. Eating had become a chore because it hurt so much to force down food. If I was lucky I would make it through the day with out puking again. I was going to be the only student here with an ulcer soon. Standing I walked to the teachers desk to ask permission to see the nurse. She agreed with a sad smile.

Collecting my books and a pass before leaving I made my way down the hall. The nurse's room was not as large as the class rooms but it was bright. The florescent lights glowed intensely as they hung from the ceiling. Two separate sections held examining tables separated by a thin curtain. Toward the front eight chairs lined the white wall. A small desk sat next to them with a sign in sheet attached. Signing my name at the bottom neatly I took a seat. The nurse spoke to someone in the back but the curtain was drawn.

Finally she appeared from the back. Her face was attractive as was her body. In her early thirties at the latest she probably fueled many of the student's fantasies. "Okay Samantha what seems to be bothering you?" She studied my face then ask, "A headache or a test?"

My face fell. "No my stomach keeps hurting." She motioned me to the table behind the curtain.

"I was just kidding honey before. How long has it been bothering you?" she moved around taking a digital thermometer to my ear. "No temp."

"It's been hurting since last week...Right here." I pushed on the top of my stomach almost causing myself to puke. Looking in my eyes with a light she allowed the digital blood pressure cup to expand.

"Any nausea or vomiting?"

"Both."

Looking at the reading on the machine she clicked her tongue. "What's stressing you so much?"

"Everything."

"Anything in particular bothering you?"

In a low voice I answered her question. "My dad died... got killed last week."

With shock on her face she apologized for his death. Why did people do that? It's not like she killed him. "I can let you go home to rest if you want to." I shook my head no. Twisting her lips in as she chewed on it she considered the situation. "I can give you some antacids that may relief the stomach pain for awhile but you need to see your family doctor soon. It is just a nervous stomach but we don't want it to get out of hand and become an ulcer do we?"