So Far Away [Naruto Sequel] Chapter 17

“It’s a shame you missed the Chuunin exams.” A thoughtful voice said from above me.

I suppressed a groan as they put more pressure on my chest with their foot, readjusting slightly.

Here I was, just laying on the ground. Exhausted, annoyed, frustrated, and currently having the breath practically squeezed out of me by this foot. This is why I hated this training. No matter what I did, her personality always switched to this one.

“So weak.”

I glanced around for something I could use, spotting a senbon needle in my reach. I grabbed it, fumbling with it for a second before coming straight down on her hand.

She jumped back, finally letting me get up. I frowned at my sensei.

“Miya-Miya,” I started, dodging a blade of wind that was hurled at me. “Does this really have to happen every time?”

Her eyes snapped to mine, the light returned to them almost immediately, and her whole body seemed to relax. Suddenly, she smiled at me. “Naomi! Why do you look so annoyed?”

I gave her a flat look, crossing my arms. She returned my look with an innocent, questioning one. “Because you did it again, sensei.”

Miyako tilted her head, placing a finger on her cheek in a thoughtful manner. Her lavender eyes widened as she realized what I meant. “I hurt you again?!”

“Yes.”

She was suddenly at me side, engulfing me into a bear hug and swinging me around. “I’m so sorry, Mimi!” She apologized between her sobs.

“Miya.” I growled.

“I’ll never do it again, I promise!”

“Mi--”

She cut me off with a gasp. “We need to get you to a doctor!”

“Miya!” I snapped, covering her mouth with my hand. “I’m fine, I just need rest.” I assured her, which she nodded her head at.

I felt like I had been training forever. It must have been at least twenty-four hours, if not more. I glanced at the time on my iPod, twenty hours of training. Well… close enough, I guess.

I messed with my iPod for a second, flipping through one of the playlists. Until I noticed Miyako staring at me.

“What?”

Miya beamed at me. “You remind me so much of Kaede!”

I stared at her in confusion. Who? And what?

A sudden realization hit me. Kaede, as in Tanaka Kaede, is who she meant. “Kaede, the woman from my clan?”

Miyako nodded her head eagerly, clasping her hands together. “The one who knew all four kinds of your kekkei genkai.”

“Wasn’t she one of the only ones to ever reach her third stage?” I asked, frowning.

“Yes, along with her brother.”

I thought about Miyako’s words for a second, practically throwing myself at the ground so I could peacefully lay down. “Ryuu’s close to reaching his third stage, right?”

“I believe so, yes.” Miyako nodded, closing her eyes.

“And, what about Shan?”

Miyako glanced at me, her eyebrow raised. “Not even close.” She finally answered, sounding a little amused.

I turned away from her, and stared at the clouds. Shan’s nowhere near Ryuu, huh? Is that why he’s always so mad at him? I can’t think of any other reason why… I always thought Shan had looked up to Ryuu.