Always The Same

The rest of the evening was filled by simple, polite conversation. After dessert I helped clear away the plates and glasses then decided it was time for me to head home.
"I better get going, thank you for dinner, it was delicious." I complimented.

"Are you sure you don't want to spend the night?" Jack asked in a final attempt to get me to stay.

"Yeah, I'm sure." we walked outside to his car and was soon parked outside my house. "I'll see you tomorrow." I pecked his cheek then climbed out of the car.

"You better!" he called after me.

I waved him off, watching him drive away to ensure he would do nothing to intervene, then continued on my way to the front door. As soon as I reached out for the door handle the walls shook and the door flew open. Here we go again.

The same thing. Over. And over. Every. Single. Day.

Then I wake up. I sneak out. I go to school. I'm a different person. No longer afraid. I'm confident. And now, I'm in love. Now, I go to Jack's house. Never spending the night. Always facing a slightly harsher punishment. But it's always worth it.

It's always the same... Until its not.

That's the day you remember, the break from similarity, the change. Change can be good, change can also be bad, this change was the worst.

I came to school with a limp, noticeably shaken. Father had taken to waking early, making my home life even more miserable, I wouldn't have time to change before school, I wouldn't be able to wash away the evidence. I would wake up still in pain from the night before, shower, get dressed, sneak downstairs then be met by Father. Beaten bloody, only having enough time to grab a hoodie before I had to run out of the house.

I made it to school on time by the skin of my teeth, slipping through my classroom door seconds before it shut. Taking a seat beside Jack who noticed immediately my distressed appearence.

He whispered to me as the teacher spoke at the front of the classroom.

"What happened?"

"Nothing, I'm fine."

"You can tell me anything Dan, please, don't lie to me."

"You know what happened."

"Your Father?"

"Yep, he's taken to waking up early to see me before school."

"Daniel, you-"

"- Jack, Daniel, pay attention." the teacher snapped.

Jack fell silent, looking deep in thought. When the day ended I rushed to track practice as I did every day, but today Jack didn't come. Usually he watches from the stands then takes me to his house, but today he was just gone. When track finished I took a quick shower then jogged over to Jack's house, I knocked on his front door. His father answered.

"Oh, hello Daniel! Come in come in!" he opened the door fully allowing me to enter. "I think Jack's up in his room, you can head up." he smiled, "I've got to go but I'll be back in a bit, goodbye Daniel." he walked past me and rushed to his car.

I proceeded up the stairs, continuing until I rea he'd his bedroom door, I tapped on it lightly. No answer. I tryed the handle, luckily it was open, I went inside. He wasn't there. I walked over to the onsweet bathroom and knocked. Again, no answer. I tryed the handle but the door was locked.
"Jack, you in there?" I paused, waiting for a response, "Jack! I'm coming in!"

I took a few steps back and slammed my shoulder into the door causing it to burst off its hinges. I rushed inside and immediately saw Jack lay on the floor with blood spilling from his wrists. A razor was abandoned in the sink, bloody from its use. I pulled Jack into my arms checking his kneck for a pulse, it was there, it was faint, but it was there. I grabbed two towels, running each under the tap and holding them on the deep cuts to stop the bleeding. I tied it tight ensuring it would stay in place, continuing to apply pressure as I picked him up, cradling him in my arms bridal style.