negativity

SOPHIE'S POV

The group shone into sight, the light falling back into the air. Biana dropped Sophie's hand, the blush on her cheeks softening. She missed it when she could just be Biana's best friend. "Are your parents home?" She asked Dex as he let go of Keefe's hand. "Mom is home. Dad took the triplets to Atlantis," he said, gesturing for the friends to come inside with him. The house shone in the light, but the smallness of it made Sophie sad. Elves claim to be so much better than humans, but their prejudices are way worse.

They opened the door to the house, waving at Juline, sitting in the living room watching one of the many human movies they owned. She smiled at the group, but her expression changed at their sad faces. "What happened?" She asked them, concerned. "Alden. And Della. They..." Keefe's words were chopped. His voice trailed off as he said the last words. "Oh. Oh, I'm so, so sorry." Juline said understandingly.

Dex nodded, walking over to his mother and hugging her. His mother's eyes welled up with tears, and Sophie's did too. She drifted towards Biana and took an attempted subtle glance at her eyes. Those bright, teal eyes held more warmth and love than she had ever noticed before. She moved next to the brunette, smiling at her. Dex

walked away from his mother, grinning at his friends.

"It'll be okay." He said, and it almost looked like he was looking at Sophie. She shook it off, following Dex as he walked to his bedroom. Keefe sat down on Dex's bed, leaning against the wall. Sophie gaped at the designs on Dex's desk, complimenting them left and right.

"Woah. These are so cool!" Sophie gushed at all the designs, flipping through the pages of the open notebook. Dex blushed and looked at the floor, not exactly used to compliments. Keefe stretched out on the bed, smiling at Dex. "So, are we all sleeping over here?" He questioned, running a hand through his hair. "If you want," Dex said, shrugging.

BIANA'S POV

Biana nodded at Dex, giving him a small smile. "I'll sleepover." She said kindly. "Well, I'm not planning on coming home anytime soon. Being alienated and invalidated isn't really my vibe, you know?" Keefe laughed darkly. Biana looked down, knowing the same thing would happen to her if she were as brave as Keefe and Dex. The light shining through the clear crystal windows faded into coral, the sunset falling upon the daylight.

Sophie gave Keefe a sad smile, and Biana glanced over at her, catching Sophie's eye and noticing the pink tint and yellow glean to Sophie's dark eyes. "I'll ask Edaline.." Sophie said, fishing around for her Imparter in her bag. The metal pins on her bag clinked together as Sophie pulled out the small grey square. "Show me, Edaline." She said, holding her Imparter in front of her face. Biana zoned out as Sophie talked to her mother, and instead, her thoughts were filled with guilt and wishfulness.

Sophie snapped Biana out of her thoughts, grinning at Dex. "Edaline says I can!" she said happily, and Biana smiled at her cheerful tone. "Okay," Dex said, not exactly enthusiastically as he sketched more of his ideas in his notebook. He and Sophie weren't close anymore. Maybe her constant insulting and ignoring him got to him.

Biana did a double-take, thinking that. Sophie...did do that. Sophie was rude to Dex. Sophie was an asshole sometimes. Biana was thinking about all the times Sophie had excluded Dex, ignored Dex, insulted Dex. And her other friends too. Biana reached to her side, pulling out a book and intensely staring at it. "I'm going to study." She said, a hint of her confusion and anger in her voice showing. Sophie looked at her, a crease in her brow as she studied Biana. Biana gave her an intentionally clueless expression. Being categorized as the ditsy pretty girl gave her practice in "acting dumb."

Sophie brushed it off, turning back to rummaging through her bag. Biana focused on one word in her textbook, processing. She was kind of angry. She was mad at herself. How did she not see how rude Sophie was before? She was mad at Sophie. But the fact that Biana just...slipped her rose-tinted glasses on and saw Sophie in a perfect lens. Maybe she was dramatic. Nobody is perfect. Maybe Sophie just had some flaws. She just needed to work on herself.

Biana audibly sighed, and she was just disappointed. But it was about time she stopped viewing her friends in this perfect light. Sophie was mean sometimes. Maybe Biana should talk to her about it. She might pull her aside later and ask her about it? Biana grabbed a bookmark from her backpack, slipping it in the unturned pages of her alchemy book. She tossed the book in her bag, adjusting her seat against the cold, white walls of Dex's bedroom. She looked up, seeing Keefe turn his head to kiss Dex and rolling her eyes.

SOPHIE'S POV

She missed her best friend. Dex didn't even talk to her anymore, and she had no idea why. Was she mean to him? No? She couldn't recall any time where she was rude to him. "I'm going to study." A honeyed voice hissed beside her, and she turned to see Biana studying a certain spot on her book. Sophie looked at her, quizzically looking at her and getting a wide-eyed response from the brunette. Sophie shrugged it off but zipped up her backpack and just watched Biana intensely stare at the word "fix" in her textbook. She wondered what the girl was thinking about.

She turned around, tracing the small symbols on her backpack and holding a pencil to her lipa. She bit the wood, chewing on it and thinking about how weird it was that people chew on pencils. Her thoughts drifted off, going from pencils to notebooks to art to college to humans to identity. She snapped out of it, movement in the corners of her eyes, grabbing her attention.

Keefe, lying on the small bed in the room, rolled over to kiss his boyfriend on his forehead. She glanced at Biana, and she thought she could see a twinge of jealousy as she rolled her eyes. Oh no. Did Biana like Keefe? Or Dex? Although she probably didn't like Dex. Not a lot of people did. He wasn't the prettiest elf. Also, he was gay. Or bi? Maybe he was bi. Sophie sighed, turning to Biana again as she shifted on the carpet.

"So, Biana, do you like anyone?" Sophie asked, secretly hoping she said a certain brown-eyed elf. She watched the girl's cheeks flush as she tried to shrug the question off. "Yeah, I do." She said, and Sophie assumed she was attempting to be nonchalant. But Biana looked extremely stressed at the question, and Sophie felt really bad for asking. "Sorry, I didn't mean to bring up anything...I didn't mean to....make you stressed?" She laughed, trying to figure out what to apologize for. "No, It's fine." Biana giggled, the flush in her cheeks softening. "I like....hey, want to play truth or dare?"

a/n: yall being mean to dex made me feel SO BAD. also, jhddkjhj incredibly cliche ik, but how else will Sophie figure out who Biana likes kjjdjsnc. please vote and comment, i love you guys! -jade

word count: 1219