C h a p t e r T w e n t y O n e

© Amber Kalkes 2015

Song: "Hero" By Regina Spektor

C h a p t e r T w e n t y O n e >

Everyone is silent at the dining table trying their hardest to hear what’s going on outside with Richie and Casey. Robin isn’t worried about what Richie will do, she’s positive he’ll be his usually sweet self. Rolling her eyes at the dramatics of it all she just goes back to devouring her slice of her birthday cake.

And god does Grace make an amazing red velvet cake.

“Why is everyone not talking mama?” Charlie whispers to her.

Robin leans forward but keeps her voice loud enough for everyone to hear, “Because some people like to be nosey and want know things they shouldn’t.”

Grace scoffs from across the table but says nothing. Robin just smiles smugly back at her before leaning back from her son. When she settles back in her seat Luke kisses her cheek making it heat up when she notices her dad watching. She may be twenty-five now but it doesn’t mean that she’ll ever be comfortable with PDA in front of her dad…ever.

“Do you think my mom’s alright miss Robin?” Ezra asks sounding a little worried.

Giving him a reassuring smile she answers, “She’s in good hands. Don’t you worry.”

Nodding Ezra turns back to his cake and Robin’s mind starts to wander. The question of how Charlie was taking this whole thing was suddenly in the forefront of her mind. It’s obvious that he likes Luke but what will he think of Luke living with them? Sure, having him hanging around seems to be working fine but Luke being around twenty four-seven. How will he react to that?

Part of her wants to keep Charlie as her own as long as she can. It’s the selfish part of her but after years of it just being the two of them its Robin whose having the real hard time adjusting. She loves Luke that much is true but living with someone is a big step, a step she’s never taken before.

Luke’s arm wraps around her shoulder, seemingly sensing her incoming panic and his thumb starts caressing her shoulder. Pleasurable fire shoots down the veins in her arm and her muscles all turn to jelly against him. Luke moves his chair closer to her until there is barely an inch of space between them.

“What’s wrong?” He asks lowly.

Robin shrugs, suddenly feeling foolish for her own train of thought. “Nothing.”

“Liar.” He scolds mildly. “Tell me.”

“I was just thinking about the new house.”

“What about it?”

“Are you going to come live with us?”

Luke sighs tiredly. “Robin I keep telling you I’m not going to leave you. When are you going to get that into your brain?”

“No, I believe you but I just…this is a big step.”

Luke’s dark brows rise in surprise, apparently not expecting that. When he doesn’t respond Robin turns her attention back to the people around them. Faith is now tickling Ezra while Gabe is holding Charlie back from getting to his piece of cake. Grace is watching the scene with a fond smile and her head on Jessup’s shoulder. Jessup isn’t looking at the rowdy kids though; his eyes are on Robin, always watchful.

Robin’s mouth twists ruefully knowing the reason for it. Its no secret she’s never liked celebrating her birthday but the reason why is between her dad and her. When she celebrated her first birthday with them Grace had gone all out with balloons and treats and games. It would have been any kids dream but all it did was put Robin into a full-blown panic.