C h a p t e r F i v e

© Amber Kalkes 2014

Song: Hard Sun By Eddie Vedder.

C h a p t e r F i v e >

Robin has come to the conclusion that Grace is evil. She has to be; there can be no other explanation for seating her right between Luke and Richie. Robin is sitting rigidly in her seat praying to any great force out there willing to listen that she can survive the night. Especially with Luke’s addicting scent overwhelming her enough to make her squirm a bit away from him so she doesn’t do anything stupid.

Like make out with him at her parent’s dining table.

Charlie for his part missing in action after Grace asked him to go wash his hands before dinner, it’s been over five minutes and Robin knows her son enough to start worrying about someone’s personal belongings. Last time Richie ate with them Charlie put a frog in his boot and the squished aftermath smelled god-awful on the bottom of his sock.

Getting up from her chair she heads towards the exit of the dining room but jumps back when Charlie comes running in out of nowhere. He comes in with a huge beaming smile on his face and Robin is immediately looking down both sides of the hallway with suspicion. Crouching to his level she gives him a conspiratorial look.

“What did you do?”

Charlie, still grinning just shrugs, “Nothing, mama.”

“Come on, button, you can tell me.”

He looks into the dining room quickly before leaning forward to whisper, “I put mud in it.”

“What?”

“You’ll see.” He giggles.

Robin sighs letting her head fall into her hand unable to stop the smile spreading across her face. She is not only related to evil but has given birth to an evil genius. Peeking through her fingers at him he smiles hopefully at her nearly fluttering his lashes at her like the little conman he is.

“I should warn somebody.” She mutters.

“No mama! Don’t tell! It won’t be funny!”

Biting her lip she finally lets a small laugh out, “Fine. I won’t tell but if anybody asks I knew nothing about it and when I found out I was very disappointed in you. Now did you wash your hands?”

“Yes mam!” He chirps showing his small clean hands.

Robin nods, “Alright then, lets go eat before they send out a search party.”

“A party? I want a party!” Charlie exclaims while jumping up and down.

“Yeah, not that kind of party. Come on.”

Robin walks back into the dining room with her hands on Charlie’s shoulders to escort him to his assigned chair, between Gabe and Faith who both smirk at her. Robin makes a face at them completely annoyed with that identical smirk she remembers from years of babysitting them. It’s never a good sign.

In the looks department the twins look alike but totally opposite. They both share the dark auburn hair and blue eyes but that’s where the similarities end. Faith is barely over five feet and as slim as she is petite while Gabe is over six feet and built like a mac truck. Still that doesn’t stop Faith from borrowing Gabe’s clothes or Gabe from wrestling Faith like she’s just another guy.

“Oh hey Robin.” Faith begins innocently, her eyes sparkling deviously “I was just asking Richie how your date went.”

Shit.