𝒗𝒊. it's not even chanel

six

six

"what?" marina yelled, the last thing she had expected to hear that morning was that jj had shot the stolen gun at the kegger.

"look, okay, they started it." jj quipped, swinging in the hammock that hung between the trees.

"you expect me to believe that? what happened to laying low?" marina asked, looking around at the group. everyone was silent, it wasn't often that marina got angry, but when she did nobody wanted to make it worse. she turned into a mother figure scolding her children. pope had once suggested that she attend an anger management class, which was only met with a series of insults being thrown at the boy.

"yeah, well you really laid low didn't you marina, cause you weren't at home." jj scoffed, shooting her an annoyed glare.

"yeah, jj. i was laying low. unlike you, alright, i mean what the fu-"

"look, i'm calling it off, alright?" john b announced. "peterkin said if i stay out of the marsh, she'll help me with the dcs."

if marina was being honest, that sounded like a pretty good deal. if they kept their noses out, john b would be able to stay in the outerbanks. it sounded good to her, but of course jj had other ideas. he couldn't resist trouble; he craved it. marina never knew why, but what she did know is that if she was in john b's situation she wouldn't think twice about listening to peterkin. living in your own home definitely beat getting thrown into the foster system at sixteen.

"and you believed her?"

john b glared at the blond boy. "yes, i believe her, jj."

"an actual cop john b? you believed a cop?" jj retorted.

"all i gotta do is stay out of the marsh for a couple days, and she'll help me out." john b stated. "it doesn't help that your ass was the one shooting a gun."

"ready for a bitch fight?" marina muttered to pope, earning a short laugh and a nudge in her side. "i'm not kidding, they're so bitchy."

"why'd you steal my lip gloss john b?" kie said to the pair quietly. a suppressed laugh left marina's body, and she quickly slapped her hands to her mouth to muffle any noise.

"they always win don't they man – kooks versus pogues. they always, always win!" he shouted, a loud 'okay' was shouted from kiara. "no it's not okay! it is not. they don't want us to go down onto the marsh, that means there's something valuable down there, and you know it."

"or maybe they don't want us to tamper with evidence? we already did enough at the Motel." marina suggested, but she was ultimately ignored.