𝒊. marina knight

one

one

in fair verona where we lay our scene...

MARINA KNIGHT wasn't and probably never would be, satisfied with life on the outerbanks; though she was almost certain that everybody said that about living in a small town. the main thing to note about marina was that she was pretty much untouchable, at least that was how most people saw her. the preppy pink princess, rebellious, glitter-bomb heiress. she was the definition of trouble – well, at least on the figure eight.

in reality, marina knight may have been described as a rich girl gone rogue – or pogue – and yes, she may have had her foot in the pogue world but her shoes were still the newest season of balenciaga. she was the raven haired princess who would rather spend her time getting up to mischief with her friends than lounging around on her family yacht. a rich girl prodigy, with a perfect life, and they wouldn't be wrong if only they knew what went on behind the mahogany front door of the knight manor.

this was one of the main reasons that she couldn't wait for the first opportunity to leave, which was exactly why she had been applying to colleges since the beginning of sophomore year. she'd received a few offers for when she did eventually finish high school, which wasn't suprising – she was practically a genius, despite her not always acting like one. that was likely the reason she had gotten along with somebody like pope heyward so well, he was often hard to decipher and considered strange, not only for his intelligence but the way in which he wanted to utilise it.

pope heyward was the son of a successful businessman, his father 'heyward' had opened their small family business, expecting it to be just that – small. except hayward's business skyrocketed, the entire concept being that they could bring almost anything of desire to the island and deliver it straight to your front door. marina was pretty sure that popes family earned more than enough money to go full kook, however they remained exactly where they always had been, except they lived much more comfortably than they did before. marina and pope had been an unlikely duo since they'd first met, it wasn't everyday that the preppy rich girl from the figure eight would find herself with more in common with a pogue than 'her own kind'.

jj maybank was the one to introduce the pair, he was a troublemaker, which wasn't surprising considering he had basically raised himself since the age of five, the only discipline he'd receive was a beating from his father – if luke could manage to stay conscious for long enough. born into a lineage of alcoholics and smugglers, there wasn't much success to be expected in the blond's future. marina had met jj on the first day of school, he had a muddy face and his hair was tousled on top of his head, just like he had been dragged through bushes to get to school. jj had first noticed marina when he entered their class, his gaze being captured almost as soon as she walked through the door. luckily enough, and to the boys excitement, he had been given the seat beside her and immediately he began to talk to her. marina liked that he would talk a lot, it was often about things she didn't know much about – like fishing or motorbikes – but she found herself enjoying his company during and eventually after class. this was when jj introduced her to john booker routledge.