Chapter 9- Parker

It's been 24 hours since we all made it back home and parted ways. I still am having a hard time processing what's been happening to me. I'm a mermaid.

I lay in bed and stare at the ceiling pondering the thought when my phone vibrates beside me. I look over and see a text from Cara. We decided to swap numbers before separating yesterday because we need to figure this out together.

Meet me at the café asap

I quickly jump up and put on my sneakers before running downstairs and out the door.

As I'm walking to the café I notice Ben on the other side of the road. "Ben!" I call out and he notices me instantly and walks my way.

"Did Cara text you?" He held up his phone in question as we continued to walk.

"Yeah she did." I nodded.

"How are you feeling about everything? Ya know the mermaid thing?" He hunched down and whispered as the word mermaid came out of his mouth. I rolled my eyes.

"I've been better I guess."

~~~

We entered the café and I see Cara and Ella sitting at a booth looking nervous and not particularly talking. As we walk up, Cara sees us and quickly lights up. Ben and I sit down at the booth.

"I'm having a really hard time with all this." Cara says shaking her leg rapidly. I look over at Ella and she looks like she's drowning in thoughts.

"Ella, how are you?" Ben says directly looking at her.

"Derek came over last night." She says finally making eye contact with us. "I broke up with him."

"Finally." Cara sighed with relief. I look around the café and see the people I always see, sitting around doing the things they usually do. Socializing, studying, etc. But things just felt so different. I felt like I was looking at the world and people so much differently than I was before. I'm a mermaid. I'm not like any of these people anymore.

"Did the lamest people in town finally find each other?" I recognize that snotty voice. I turn to see Casey and Jenna standing over us.

"Care to join us?" Ben asks with a smile. I look at Casey with such sudden anger. She's been ratting on me since I've moved here. I notice Derek walk in the café and look back at Casey who is now smirking.

"Ella I heard you finally got dumped." She puts her hands on the table and leans over, still evilly smiling.

"She broke up with him." Cara snaps.

Casey gets off the table and walks away. I roll my eyes and focus back on my friends before I act irrationally.

"We need to find a way to fix this." Ella mutters referring back to the mermaid situation.

"Fix this? We don't even know how this happened." I look at Ella who is still not really making eye contact when conversations with us. Why was she always so out of it?

"Guys, look." Ben said staring off at the other side of the room. I look and see Casey sitting with my brother, touching all over him, giggling like an idiot. Really? MY brother? She really has nothing better to do than to ruin other people's days? I clench my fist trying to calm myself down before I get up and walk over there. Before I know it, Casey's drink in front of her explodes in her face. I somehow felt connected to what just happened.

I hear the others gasp and then Cara and Ben start to snicker. I look down at my fist and loosened my grip.

"Let's go." I say and quickly get up and leave. I see Casey freaking out and trying to clean herself off as Derek chuckles.

~~~

The four of us are now walking along the beach.

"What just happened?" Cara asks. I don't answer and make my way over to some rocks and squat down. They all automatically follow me. I put my hand over the the small section of water in between the rocks and slowly start to fold clench my hand. The water starts to boil. I turn and look at them and see their faces look confused yet amazed.

"I'm not sure how it's happening but it is. And I'm sure it has to do with what's happening to us." I smile at them and then smile back at the water.