Chapter 8

The night was getting darker only illuminated by some dull streets lights. There was no cab because it was too late at night so I walked to Gelsey's apartment. I was worried her dad had already done something to her, though he did seem to really love her; I saw it in his eyes. But even that kind of love is fragile when it comes to kill and I knew it because of my father. Images from my past nightmare came across my mind making feel depressed again. The cries of my little brother, the crazy look on my father's face and the fear of dying. I tried to get those thoughts out of my head since depression had always given me more cravings to kill.

Half way to Gelsey's apartment I thought of what I would tell her. Giving the news that your father wants you dead is not an easy thing to do. I couldn't just tell her she's going to die if she stays with her dad. She wouldn't believe me at first of course but I had to try and save her. Besides, I would have to tell her where I got this information from, which meant I would have to say I was hired to kill her. I have never mentioned to anyone besides Newton that I kill people for a living. Nobody would trust me, not Gelsey, not even I would.

I rang the bell of the building and stood still waiting for an answer. The cold breeze hit my body automatically freezing my body. I wore only a light jacket to warm me up, which it wasn't enough. Gelsey's voice came from the communicator,

"Who is this?"

I hesitated, wondering if this was the right thing to do, finally I answered, "Gelsey, it’s me Corbett."

Some time passed before she unlocked the door. I stepped into the building and felt my body getting warm. As I walked up the stairs I felt my heart beat rising. I began thinking on what exact words I should tell her but my mind went completely blank.

I knocked on her door waiting patiently for her to open. The excitement to see her again was growing making my body shakes. I inhaled deeply trying to imagine her beautiful face but everything vanish when I saw the men with the scar on his cheek open the door.

"What do you need?" He asked with a menacing tone but still trying to be polite. From his shoulder I saw Gelsey's sitting at the distant not even facing me. She seemed sad.

"I have to talk with Gelsey," I said looking directly to his eyes. We both glare at each other for some seconds; I had to show him I wasn't afraid of him.

"About what?"

I sighed deeply. "Is none of your business." I pushed him strong enough to give myself some space between the door and him and stepped inside. I walked directly to Gelsey not caring about what his dad would do to me. As I got closer I saw a tear running down her cheek. I felt a pain in my chest and my anger rising by seeing her cry.

"Gelsey, are you okay?" I said bending trying to see her face clearer but she just stared at the floor.

"Is it true?" Her voice was almost a whisper but I could hear the pain coming from her.

"What are you talking about?" I had no idea what she was trying to say but I was sure it was about something her father said to her. But what could he say to her to make her cry?