Chapter 7

I didn't sleep after the nightmare of my brother dying, every time I closed my eyes I saw his face with his blank eyes staring at me. I sat on my bed quietly all night overthinking about the dream. Hours later I realized there were more strange dreams I've had this past months, but only one caught my fully attention; me running in the woods hearing my mother tell me to get out of there as fast as I could. Did that dream had a connection with the one I just had? I wasn't going to get any answers by just thinking. I had to do something.

The night ended and a new day began. My mind was still puzzled. There had to be a way to free my mind and let my body be in peace. I stood up to get some clothes. While searching for a shirt I saw the wooden box laying there, whispering to me. I opened it slowly and saw my small knife collection. I stared at them for a while trying to fight against my feelings but the whispers soon became screams and I couldn't help but grab one of them. The cold sensation of the metal against my skin was mesmerizing. I smiled and knew exactly what I needed this morning.

............

"I knew you'd come back soon," Newton said with a pedant tone. "There's a pile of clients desperately asking for your service and I can't let them down my friend." I stared at him emotionless as he talked. Newton sighed and handed a sealed folder.

"Don't open it until you're completely alone, it is a client request; only you can know that person's identity. They said all the information you need is inside that folder." Newton didn't seem to be content with this situation. I knew him well enough to notice he was uncomfortable with this kind of requests and to be honest I was too. Why did it have to be so confidential?

I nodded and stared at the folder. Newton cough and said with his typical sarcastic tone, "So are you going to sit there like a fucking idiot or you will get your work done?"

I scoffed and left the bar. I was eager to know who I would kill today giving me the feeling I love the most. I sat on a bench staring at the envelope.

Slowly I took the paper out and began reading. My heart stopped and my breathing became heavy. The blood in my body was boiling I could feel it burning my skin. I stared at the picture of the woman I was supposed to kill. Though it seemed to being taken years ago I recognized her. It was Gelsey.

My mind could not believe it at all. It was hard to breath and I felt my heart accelerating at the thought of killing her. I closed my eyes to relax and clear my thoughts but instead I saw her screaming and crying for help. Her eyes were filled with fear. A knife touched her pale skin soft enough not to cut her. The hand holding the knife was mine. Something about her voice and fearful eyes gave me some kind of pleasure. With the blink of an eye the sharp metal was inside her body. Bright red blood spilt out of the wound. Within seconds she was dead. Her eyes had no life and her body was still. I killed her.

I opened my eyes quickly trying to get that image out my head. My mind was playing games with me and I knew I was losing my self-control. I knew was not capable of killing Gelsey but my obsession seems to have built a life of its own. The eager for adrenaline grew stronger for me to retain it any longer. I had to find someone to kill fast and regain self-control before I could hurt Gelsey.

I walked fast observing the faces of people passing by trying to decide who would not live another day.

Kill them all.

Thoughts were screaming inside my head and I felt I was almost at the edge. I wanted to kill every single person I saw but that would just be utterly wrong so I kept searching. Finally I saw a man walking alone. He was between 30 and 40s, was well dressed and holding a leather bag. I went directly behind him and followed his steps waiting for the perfect timing.

I quickly pushed him to a dark alley. He tried to scream but my knife was already on his upper lip.

"Take everything you need! I have almost two hundred dollars on my suit case, just don't hurt me," he pleaded. I could sense his fear growing stronger every second. I placed my hand on his chest feeling his heart pounding incredibly fast. I suddenly began to feel at ease but it wasn't enough.

"I don't want your fucking money," I said running the knife through his neck to the chest. "I want you to suffer."

I heard his voice pleading me for not to kill him but it slowly faded away leaving me in complete silence. I stared at his eyes while the knife penetrated his skin. His pain and fear gave the most beautiful pleasure. I inhaled deeply smelling his blood.

I remained in the same position with my eyes closed trying to fully sense this moment. A jerking move from the man broke my thoughts. He was already dead. I slowly laid him down on the pavement. At that moment I knew this was a mistake. I didn't take any measures before killing him and there would be a big chance for me to get caught. I quickly searched for a place to hide the body and saw a small lake at the distance.

I waited for it to get dark enough to not being seen by anyone. The corpse was heavy so I dragged it to the lake. I knew that if the body remains on water enough time many evidence would be lost. I tied up the body to a rock for it to drown low enough. I stared at the lake trying to get my thoughts straight and get control of my own mind once again.

Stepping inside my apartment I felt different, numb. I tried to recall what happened to me earlier that day and came to the conclusion that my desire to kill was stronger and was growing continually. One day I would have absolutely no control of myself and hurt the few people I care, but I just couldn't let that happened. I needed to free my mind for that issue and concentrate on something so maybe I could feel better.

I sat on my bed and began reading the papers Newton gave me that afternoon. There was no reason stated for Gelsey to be dead. Her whole itinerary was written as well as her phone numbers and address. I wondered what she would have done to someone to make them want her dead.

I stared at the papers for some minutes studying them. After a while, when I was giving up on finding any clue of what I could do, I saw a small watermark at the corner of each sheet. It was some sort of abstract triangles with something written underneath but the image was too small to be able to read it.

I grabbed my laptop and began searching logos of this kind but failed completely. There were thousands of search result but none of them had what I wanted. I tried thinking of something specific about it but it was too small and transparent for it to be seen clearly. Then I remembered something, Gelsey was born in France, maybe this had some sort of connection. By placing the word French on the finder I found it at the third result page. It was identical from the one on the paper. Underneath the abstract triangles was written "Banque de France"

I searched more about and got perplex of what I found. One of the founders of this very important bank in France was Gelsey's father. He was stated as deceased. I just couldn't understand why people from this bank wanted her dead. She came here very young to get involved in something illegal. But what most called my attention was Gelsey's father. He was clearly not dead and he appeared casually a day before I was hired to kill his daughter.

If her father was involved then she would be endangered by being alone with him. Depending on how desperate he was on having her dead he could get my work done. I had to get her away from him and keep her safe from whatever her father was planning.

By thinking about having her near me again, scenting her aroma and getting lost at her eyes my body shivered in excitement. But it wasn't the type of excitement you feel when you're in love; on the contrary, my "alter ego" (If I can call my obsession that way) still wanted to see her dying so desperately. Even if I tried to get her safe from his father I wouldn't know if she could be safe enough by being with me.

Comment-vote <3