Chapter 2

“You’re an idiot,” Newton yelled at me from the other line of the phone. I ignored him, though I knew he was right. Last night was reckless and stupid. I shouldn’t have killed that woman in a place so crowded with so many eyes that might have been watching the whole scene. The police were making a huge investigation about what happened at the nightclub. Luckily I used one of my new blades and the way I killed her was different from the others so it would seem like a random murder.

“Calm down for god’s sake! Everything’s going to be fine, I got it under control.” Then I hanged up on him. I always hated when he got all stressed up. He gets so pushy.

I walked towards the gym exactly at 10 am as my daily routine.The hot blonde girl at the reception greeted me. I nodded politely and kept walking to the exercise machines’ room. You could feel the strong smell of men sweating from meters away. I headed directly to the treadmills section and groaned as I saw Austin using one of the machines.

Austin came to this same gym one year after I did and since then he have always hated me. With no reason at all. I didn’t care of what he thought about me or what stuff he would say behind my backs, but he was always breaking my peace. I had started to come here to get my concerns to vanish for just awhile, but my plans wouldn't work by being near him.

Without saying anything I put on my headphones and started exercising. I enjoyed every melody, rhythm and instruments coming from the music in my iPod blocking the world and everything happening around me. After half an hour my muscles were exhausted. I was breathing heavily and my hair was matted to my head with sweat. My heart was beating so fast and strong I could hear it clearly pounding against my chest. Patiently, I waited for my body to get to its normal pace when I heard someone’s voice talking to me.

“Hey Corbett, you don’t last long do you?” Austin said from the treadmill beside mine. I stared at him with hatred, though he didn’t seem mind. His black curly hair bounced as he ran. I could see his cheeks getting hot red by fatigue. For so long I wanted to at least punch him on the face. He was a bit taller than me and his body was more toned than mine, but still I could easily win a fight against him. I said nothing to his commentary and just sat down cleaning my sweaty face with a small towel.

Austin stopped his machine and sat beside me. I knew this wasn’t going to get any better.

“Oh common! Did I hurt the little girl’s feeling?” He said between breaths. I heard as other men from the gym laughed and stared back at me as waiting for me to give Austin a comeback, but I knew better than that. If I kept playing his game it would be followed by a fight ending with me killing him.

I sighed and remembered the promise I made myself five years ago, “Don’t kill with rage”.

The memory of that day remained in my mind like if I lived it just yesterday. It was the first time I ever killed. I could still hear her screams ringing on my head and the extreme pleasure I experienced at that moment. I remembered staring at my hands covered with blood and smiling at the sight. Unfortunately it didn’t last long enough. As soon as I finished cleaning everything up and placing the girl on her elegant bath tub I walked slowly over thinking what have just happened. I saw pictures of her and her family. That’s when I realized I just killed someone who had a family, friends, job, and so many other things she could have been achieving in her life. I paralyzed. My body felt numb. She didn’t deserve to die like this, without any reason, only by the intake of anger. At that exact moment I promised myself I wouldn’t kill without knowing anything about that person or if there’s a reason for them to die.

I went to that girl’s funeral (I always do with the people I kill). Her name was Ashley Livingston, she was 23 years old - two years younger than me. I saw her entire family suffering for her death, crying their eyes out and asking themselves “Why her?”.  Between all the people crying a little girl sat there, emotionless. She had long blonde hair and beautiful green eyes and her face ressembled Ashley's. I thought she was her little sister but  later I  knew that girl was her daughter. If I would have known she had a child I wouldn’t have killed her, but it was too late now. Later than that I always tried the impossible to control myself and not to kill that way again.

The laughter of men brought me back to present. I turned to face Austin who was sitting just too close to me. He had a huge smirk on his face and raised one of his thick black eyebrows. He was surely giving me a hard time. I coughed and stood up slowly picking my stuff.

“See you tomorrow sissy,” he said pronouncing “sissy” slowly. I inhaled deeply and kept myself to react the wrong way. My body was having an internal fight between good and evil. I knew that if i didn’t leave that place soon my “evil” alter-ego will win, without any doubt. I began walking trying to avoid any trouble but what Austin did was the straw that broke the camel.

Austin walked passed me dropping his bag in front of me causing me to fall face to the ground. What a kindergarten! Laughs came from every part of the room. My blood was boiling and I felt as my head got hot. I got on my feet fast and punched Austin on his jaw. A crack sound echoed in the gym provoking everyone to stay in silence.

I wanted to stop and relax but I wasn’t in control of my body anymore. It was if I watched myself fighting with Austin. Observing as I hit him each time harder. People tried to get me apart from him but ending hurt too. I yelled inside me trying to stop but it was pointless. There was nothing that could stop me in that state. Blood began to splatter on the floor leaving small red puddles with every punch I gave him. Our clothes - specially Austin’s - was stained deep red.

For a brief second I watched Austin’s face. It was swollen and covered most with blood. I could see the pain in his eyes pleading me to stop; it remembered me of Ashley. The image of her her face with a ghostly expression came across my mind helping me to regain some control and stopped hitting him. People stared at me with anger and fear. This was the moment I wanted to prevent from the first time I met Austin. At least I didn't kill him - that I was grateful about. Without grabbing my bag I started walking towards the exit ignoring the glares.

A voice behind me made me stop; I knew It was Austin’s. I sighed and turned around, immediately feeling his fist on my face. He didn't punched me so hard for he was weak already,  but the impact was enough for me to loose balance. I tried to keep on my feet but a weight was too close, which caused me to fall. Instinctively I tried using my hands as a shield however my head bumped a metal piece of some machine.

Then everything went blank.

My eyes were heavy but I managed to opened them. Everything was blurry and it took a few seconds for my eyes to get used to the light. When finally I could see clearly, I observed the room was completely white. I had the horrible feeling of not knowing where I was or what happened. It took me awhile to realize I was in a hospital room. Then every memory came back to me. They must have called an ambulance after I passed out, I thought. Suddenly a stroke of pain came from my head. I searched the origin of it with my hand and felt a bandage covering part of my forehead. I winced in pain.

A nurse stepped inside and tried to calm the pain. As she changed the bandage and clean the wound I noticed she was real pretty. Her hair was short framing her delicate face. Her skin was light brown-going to white, but what captivated me the most were her eyes. They were big enough to see her color clearly and small enough to be elegant. Her eye’s color was something absolutely new for me, they seemed to be ice-blue combine with greenish gray. For some reason my whole body felt in peace at seeing her face. I didn’t remember the last time feeling that way. I wanted to ask her anything just to know how her voice would be. She noticed I was staring at her and immediately blushed. I smiled by seeing her cheeks go pink.

Somehow I was unable to say a thing. It had never happened to me once. Talking to women had never been a problem to me and I didn’t want to start at that moment. Every time I got ready to say something my mouth got dry and my mind went blank. After trying many times with no success I looked at her name tag.

Gelsey Beaudreau.

A/N: I hope you enjoyed reading this new chapter. If liked it a lot please leave a comment or vote, it is very appreciated. I also wanted to ask something, do you like the lenght of the chapter I've written or do you think they should be longer? Thanks for your support! :)