Chapter 11 - The Icicle Cometh

MacKenzie's POV

There are voices in the medbay as we walk through the cortex

"Thank you for this, Caity." Mr Snow says. "I mean, what you're doing is beyond the call."

"Of course, you're my dad. I'd do anything for you." Caitlin says

"He's not your dad." Cisco says as we walk in. Cisco holds out a dish. "Look familiar?"

"Cisco. What are you talking about?" Caitlin asks through her teeth. "This is my father."

"Mack and I went back to the Tannhauser black ops site, and I picked up a vibe." Cisco says. "I saw him working in the lab."

"Cisco, your vibes have been a little problematic." Barry says

"I know what I saw." Cisco says. "I saw him standing over the incubator, the one he claimed he had no use for, and he was working on this."

"Skin grafts?" Caitlin asks, grabbing the dish. "What does this have to do with anything?"

"This is gonna sound whacked-out, but what if, when you dad tried to cure his ALS, it didn't just give him crystallized skin?" Cisco asks. "What if it really did create that dual personality? This Killer Frost?"

"That's who you think this is?" Barry asks. "Thomas' alter ego wearing a copy of his face made out of these skin grafts?"

"Yes, I know." Cisco says. "I know it-it sounds--"

"It sounds absurd, but I can see where Mr. Ramon is getting his hypothesis." Mr Snow says, unbuttoning the top of his shirt to reveal his ice covered skin. "My, uh, cryo-malignancy spread further than I admitted, and it's afflicted my face, my hands, my arms, my chest. And I created those skin grafts from stem cells that I found in the lab in order to cover any further outbreaks."

"You're lying to us!" Cisco exclaims

"Cisco." Caitlin says

"Caitlin, you have to see--" Cisco tries

"No, you need to leave us alone." Caitlin says

"Please..." Cisco tries

"Now!" Caitlin yells

Cisco storms out

"I got it." Barry says, running after him

***

I sit in a chair next to the desk as Caitlin works

"Hey." Barry says in the doorway
"If you came to defend Cisco, please don't bother." Caitlin says

"He just cares about you." Barry tells her

"Come on, don't you think I wouldn't know if that wasn't actually my father?" Caitlin asks. Barry sighs. "You too? Mack?" I'm silent. "Really?"

"Listen, I wanted to believe that that's your dad and that he's a good guy because I want you to be happy. But I don't I don't know." Barry says. "Maybe I haven't been seeing clearly. There is a lot about this guy's story that doesn't add up."

"This guy?" Caitlin asks.T"his guy is my father. He's the man who held me when I had chickenpox. Who told me I could be anything I wanted to and made me believe it. So please stop treating him like he's a criminal."

"Okay." Barry says

"You know how estranged I am from my mother and how empty I felt without Killer Frost." Caitlin says. "He is the only family that I have left." She trails off in a whisper

"But Cait, that's not true." I tell her. "We're your family too."

"And we're only asking you to keep an open mind because we care about you." Barry says. "Especially Cisco."