Chapter 11-Final Days in the Capital.

I wake up the next morning, and I don't feel rested or happy, but I feel better. Last night was the emotional outlet I needed, first with Romulus, then with Portia. Two different outcomes. Two different releases, but both were required. I look out the window and see the sun rising over the city.

It is a lovely city, full of assholes that want to watch kids kill each other. I stretch, and I'm SORE; chest, arms, legs, and back. I guess I needed that workout last night. I walk to the bathroom and decide a colder shower would be best for my sore muscles. That workout last night has done wonders for me though my arms look more prominent, and my regular 4ish pack is a six-pack.

"Thanks for the push last night Jackson," I mumble to myself and prepare for the cold water. 

I last about 3 minutes before I turn the hot water on and enjoy the shower, "it's easier when I didn't have a choice," I think to myself.

I dry off and put on the training clothes and fix my hair, seeing as the Gamemakers will see me today and head out. It's still early, so I'm surprised to see Alejandro lying on the couch watching the sunrise.

"Sorry, I didn't know other people would be awake this early," say.

He waves it off, "I have a hard time sleeping in the Capital because of all the noise. The victor's village is quiet. I miss it," I nod and gesture to the food, and he nods and gets up and sits with me.

"so what do you do with your free time," I ask him, and he starts talking about his old talent of designing clothes. He did that until his twins died in the same game, and he goes quiet. I nod my head, and he then talks about painting and how it helped with his grief. Every 25 years, the games take on a new one time rule for the Quarter Quell tributes. For the 25th game, the districts had to vote on their tributes. I don't remember who won that game, but they based it on some ancient kingdom and some plagues my Father told me about it once. In the 50th games, the districts had to send twice the customary tributes, and Haymitch won that game, but several victors lost kids in that game. Alejandro has another son from his second marriage who was in my year, so he is safe now, at least. 

"I'd ask you about your free time, but you'll need to repeat yourself tomorrow, so might as well eat up," he smiles.

"Not much to say babysitting Ally and working for Jonah's parents took up most of my last year," I say.

"I'm sure there is more to the story, but you don't need to tell the old man," he laughs and pats my back, and heads back to the couch to eat.

I start my second plate by the time Jackson and Michele walk in, "I hope you're as sore as me," he groans.

I laugh, "yes, but look at the results," I joke and flex my arms.

Ally comes in behind them, and Alejandro joins us for breakfast. Michele goes over the plan one more time and tells us not to panic. It will be over quickly. Just do our best. 

We head down to the training floor, and the rest of the morning is a blur. Ally is hitting more of the moving bullseyes than missing, and that was the goal. We head to lunch, and everyone is quiet, even the careers, but our regular group is still sitting together quietly talking.

Atala comes in and tells us all to go to the next room and sit in our district pairs. The sessions are pretty simple. We go in one at a time and have 15 minutes, boys go before girls, and we go in district order. I can tell that Ally is nervous, so I have her turn around, and I start braiding her hair, something our mother taught us how to do, and we sit quietly as Topaz gets called in, and it starts.

By the time Romulus gets up for his turn, her hair is done, and he looks at me and smiles before walking into the room. Aurora gives me a dirty look, which I return, and Ally stands up and starts braiding my hair, which doesn't give her much to do. It's only about an inch and a half long, but she is playing with it, and the girls are all looking at me with smiles.