Chapter 3 Surprise goodbyes

The door opens again, and our family walks in. My brothers are sad and scared, but my father is red with anger and slaps me across the face. "What the actual fuck were you thinking?" he screams, pushing my brothers off of him so he can grab me again.

"I thought that your favorite kid needed help, and I could help," I scream back, and he recoils. "I was thinking, either we both die in the games, or Allison gets to come home....either way, I'm free from you," and I jab him in the chest.

My brothers are speechless. Ally's just staring at us both, and my father's silent for the first time in a long time.

I look at Ally and say, "I'll see you at the car," and turn to my brothers. Callum's holding back tears, and I hug him just saying, " I love you," and look at Evan, who isn't the emotional type and shake his handing saying, "I love you too. Take care of them," gesturing to Ally and Callum and I walk out the door.

I don't turn back when my father mutters, "Kyle...wait."

I don't turn around to look at him. Ally will be the winner or she won't, either way, it's done.....and if I win, I'll be heartbroken at losing her, but I'll be a victor and free from him. I shudder out an emotional gasp, and the doors close behind me. I stare at these stupid posters of fruits and vegetables. I saw them last year when I said goodbye to Jonah, and I still hate them. I know I'm gonna cry.

When I hear my name called by a voice, I never expected. "Kyle? Sweetie, are you ok?"

I look over and see Mr. and Mrs. Nelson standing there, and I see Tyler and Kendal behind them and some of Ally's friends who're in tears. I look at the Peacekeeper, who just replies, "they're here to see you," and points to the other room where the other tribute goes. I head in and close the door behind the Nelsons, and as I turn around, she's hugging me, crying. I look at Mr. Nelson, and he just shrugs and pats his wife's back.

"We wanted to talk to you after the reaping anyways. I wanted to tell you this morning, but I didn't. I couldn't handle it," she says with tears in her eyes.

She reaches into her pocket and pulls out a bracelet. I've never seen this one, but I made a similar one for Jonah, and he wore it into the games last year. It's woven thread like from a cross-stitch.

It took me back to the time Jonah and I saw them at a market stall months before, and he commented on how cool they looked, but he looked at the price and groaned.

I whispered to him that "we could probably figure it out ourselves," and we moved along.

dad made money, but not enough for all four of us to have any extra stuff like that, but it was pretty. He asked me what I would want mine to look like, and I said bright and happy and just smiled at him.

He nudged me and just said, "like you need help being happy," we laughed and moved on.

I went back alone later and bought the tread, and the lady told me some basic pointers. I planned on making it for Him as a surprise. I had finished it the day before the reaping and planned to give it to him after celebrating his freedom from the games. Instead, I gave it to him as we both cried and said, I love you, over and over. His body came back when he died, and I just assumed the bracelet was buried with him. I didn't ask though, his parents didn't know about us.

"When Jonah died, and we packed up his room, we found this bracelet, and it was almost done. I didn't have the heart to throw it away, but when he came back, we saw a matching one on his arm that had the letter "K" braided into it." I nod, thinking back to the many many, many times I fucked it up and to start over. "That's when I looked and saw this one has a "J," and I knew it was for you, sweetheart."

She choked up a little. Mr. Nelson took over, "we knew about you two for a couple of months. I walked in on one too many conversations to not piece it together. We just didn't know how to tell you. We know you've been grieving and heartbroken, son. And we love you for loving Jonah." 

Tears are welling in my eyes for the fourth time that day. I need to hold it together. "I really loved him. He was my best....he was my boyfriend. And I'm sorry I didn't volunteer for him." 

Mrs. Nelson hushes me, " no, he would've been just as heartbroken or more. Take this bracelet. He would have wanted you to finally have it. Be as safe as you can in the arena. We're gonna try and get sponsor money together." The Peacekeepers are coming, and they wrap me in a tight hug, "Watch out for your sister. We're going to do what we can for you, sweetheart."

They're gone, and I'm alone again. There's a knock on the door, "these are your last visitors, go in, you have 3 minutes." 

In walk Tyler and Kendal, who both look shaken. "What happened with your dad? Are you ok?" Kendal asks nervously.

I laugh for the first time since I heard Ally's name, "I'm heading into the Hunger Games, and you're worried about what he did to me? Fuck him. I'm focused, and I'll do my best. It's really all I can do, right?" 

They nod; Tyler speaks up, "why did you volunteer, I know she's your sister, but still, that's a massive deal." 

Obviously, I know why I did it. I did it for her, but as I open my mouth, a pair of green eyes pop up, and I know it's not the whole truth. "I couldn't lose her too, man. I lost Jonah, and I died on the inside. He wasn't just my best friend. I loved him...." I trail off and look at them.

Kendal nods and says, " we know, we walked on you kissing, what two winters ago?" Tyler nods. "We just didn't know how to help you this last year, and I'm sorry. I get why you have to protect Ally. Ummm, I don't know how to say this, but...... I'll look out for her when she gets home. I promise," He says awkwardly.

I know he means it. If I come back, I'll still be his friend, but if she comes back, he will be there when I can't. Only one tribute can win the games. Tyler grabs me, and I hold Kendal and just hug for the last 30 seconds. Then the guard comes. I hear little girls crying, so Ally's friends are gone. Our father and brothers are gone.

This is it. I walk out of the room and see her standing there waiting. I offer my hand, and she takes it like we are walking to school and head out to the waiting car to go to the train station. I see people waiting and waving at her, Ally has always been popular in the area, but I realize that they are waving and calling my name too. The boy who everyone knows has the adorable little sister is going to try and save her. I smile, thinking this means we will have sponsors, and the car drives off to the station.
*****