Chapter 8-Training

Jackson's still waiting for me when I open the door, "uhhhh hi?," I say, clearly confused.

"Did you enjoy the roof last night? Cause we'd prefer it if you tell us when you leave. Michele was worried," he says with his arms crossed.

Shit. I guess they did notice. "Sorry, I didn't think it was a big deal cause the door wasn't locked," I say honestly.

He nods, " not a big deal, just worried. Anything could happen to you. Did you have fun?" he asks. I realize this is the most Jackson Spidell has ever said to me.

"I did. The view was nice, but really I wanted time alone to think, you know?" He nods and smiles.

"Well, I'm glad you can find a place to breathe. Just tell us next time, and if another tribute goes up there, be polite, but don't hang out. Just come back. Let's eat," we start heading to the dining room, and he puts his hand on my back and pats it.... again with the other hand. He always has to do things twice.

We sit down, and Michele gives me a cold good morning, well shit again, "I'm sorry I didn't tell you I went to the roof last night. Jackson told me it's not a big deal, but I should still tell you. I'm sorry."

She turns to me and smiles, "anything could happen, and we're responsible for you. Just tell us next time," she pats my hand and starts eating.

Ally turns up a few minutes later, looking sleepy. Michele reminds us of the plan today, "Kyle, you're going to do spears, hand to hand, and swords in the morning, Ally will do throwing knives and hatchets, in the afternoon learn some more survival skills. Your dad's training book will give you an edge, but you can also learn more and hit the edible food area; it's the only insight into the arena you'll get. what else did I tell you, Kyle?"

She looks at me, and Ally and Jackson giggle as my mouth is full of food, "ummmmmmmmmmmmm oh make friends," I say after swallowing.

"Good boy, I'm glad you listened," she says.

She tells us to get dressed; the training uniforms are in the closet. I walk back to my room . I need to shave cause my beard is growing in, but I don't see that setting in the bathroom. I'll ask Jackson later. The training uniform is a red and black pullover to help with sweat and has the number 10 on it, cargo pants and boots; not my most stylish look, but once again, the pullover is tight and shows off the muscles.

I walk out into the hall and see Ally; I offer my hand, which she doesn't take, "what are you too old to hold my hand as we walk to school anymore?" I tease.

"I'm not a baby, I'm scared, but I'm not a baby," she snaps back.

"Ok, well, what if I need my brave sister to hold MY hand, so I'm not scared, please," I say and flutter my eyes at her.

She takes my hand, and we walk out to the living room area. Gloriana asks if we want to be escorted to the training room, I shake my head while Jackson says, " let them go. The others need to see that they aren't scared to be alone," and Michele agrees.

Gloriana nods, "ok, good luck today. We," gesturing to Michele, Jackson, and herself, "will be working on sponsors for you."

"what about Alejandro?" I asked, "he's our mentor, too, right?" I ask.

Michele cuts in, "no more than two official mentors, Alejandro's here for moral support and guidance."
She and Jackson exchange a quick look.

"Well, Ok, then, good luck. Ally and I will make you proud," I say.

Ally chimes in, "we got this. I'll be a knife-throwing pro by dinner," and smiles.

We head down to the training room about 15 minutes early, and some of the tributes are already there. I see Romulus and Aurora talking to Topaz and Bella from 1 and plan on avoiding them all.