Chapter 4-Ride to the Captial.

We get to the station, and I see the cameras. Ally's stopped crying, and I look at her and say, "when we get out there, try, and smile and be happy. It's supposed to be an honor. I know, I know, but we can figure this out." She shoots me an annoyed look like I'm speaking another language.

We get out of the car, and the camera crew shouts that they can't see Ally that well, so I pick her up like a big brother would, and we smile and wave to the crowd. The people of District 10 are really cheering for us now. Most years, this is a sad occasion where we fake a smile and go home, but today's different. They really think she can win the game, or we will get farther than normal.....a dark thought crosses my mind, or that I'll win. I help Ally on the train, and the doors close behind me. The train starts up right away.

We've never been on a train before; traveling between the districts is impossible unless you're in the government or part of the games. That's not to say I haven't left the district before; there's a fence that surrounds the district and the ruined cities within our area. The closest one to us was called "Dallas." It's to the far north of our zone, and it's completely forbidden....so of course, every teenager has crawled under the broken fence and walked around part of the ruins at least once. Millions of people lived there before Panem, before the dark days, before all of this, and when the world fell apart, a lot of them died, but some of them survived and settled the districts. Our Grandpa said that we were 10th generation Texan, whatever that means really, but we've been in the area for a LONG TIME.

"Ally. Kyle. Come in here, please. We've got to start training and watch the other reapings," I hear Gloriana say.

She still looks like an apple, but I'll say this, she looks happy. Michele and Jackson are with her. "Where're Alejandro and Jocasta?" I ask, not really caring.

"He's getting changed for the trip. He likes to look his best, and Jocasta isn't feeling well, so she's staying here this year." Gloriana pipes up.

Jackson rolls his eyes, and Michele seems equally annoyed. It's an open secret that Alejandro's an awful drunk most of the year, but he got Michele out, who got Jackson, who will get Ally out. How bad can he be?

Michele starts talking, "so are you two a team, or do we need to mentor you separately?" 

"We're a team obviously," I say and look to Ally, who confirms. I guess I just assumed that was clear.

"ok, then who do you want to be your mentor? You can use us all, but only two of us get to be In the control room during the games, but we need a leader. So pick." 

I look at Ally and say, "you pick. I trust you," and start looking at the mentors. Michele was 16 when she won her games; now, at age 30, she's imposing. She won her games by pairing with a tribute from District 2, who had a crush on her, and she did well. Her daughter's a few years younger than Ally and also very sweet. Jackson won two years ago, and now at age 20, he's a good looking man for sure. Tall with a handsome face, but he is....unique. He doesn't like things to be out of place or moved and doesn't like to be touched or dirty. His district partner was killed during the feast, and Jackson lost it, killing the girl from 2 in the process and winning his games a few days later. Alejandro's 50. He won his game decades ago by pretending to be gay and winning sponsors that way. He was in a cold area with snowstorms and avalanches, and I really really hope that's not the case this year—deserts with poisonous butterflies. Snow-capped mountains with angry foxes. Fields with crickets that don't stop chirping. These are just some of the arenas they have used in the past, and I don't really know what to expect.

"Ummm, Michele. I think you'd be the best," Ally says, and Jackson looks relieved. I know lots of attention bothers him.

"Jackson, you can be my backup. Ok, then let's get some lunch in you two. The last reaping starts soon, and then we can talk about your skills and plans."