Chapter 28!

"I'll be heading out now." She was slipping on her shoes, Ema staring after her in slight concern. Their own Christmas party had ended, it was growing decently dark out as well. The company party was both for Christmas and New Years, yet placed on neither so that the reclusive authors and their overworked editors were actually somewhat inclined to come. 

"Mei, you know you don't have to force yourself..it's snowing afterall.." Ema began to approach her until Wataru's voice called from the top of the stairs, wanting to play with his new toys before he had to go to sleep.

Mei shook her head at her sister and casually opened the door, "I already told you, Nageki's picking me up. Don't worry, goodnight."

The door closed behind her but Ema didn't move for a few moments longer, "we both know that's not why I'm worried.."

'''

"So Kitten, since there's still some Christmas left how about we exchange gifts now?" They were back in his apartment, both taking their time in getting off their coats while talking. 

"Bold of you to assume I'd get an idiot like you something." Mei grinned a little walking past him to put her bag done next to the couch while Nageki let out a pitiful groan.

"And here I thought I'd get a reward or two for a hardworking year.." That was some humor in his tone as he walked over, torn between wanting to talk longer and just dragging the girl down onto the couch and sleeping there.

Mei sighed, "If you really insist, here."

She pulled out a bag with some tissue paper sticking out of it, clearly having prepared a present from the start. Nageki's expression brightened marginally, since he'd known she was faking from the start, but he was still plenty happy that she had thought of him. He gingerly took the bag from her hands, reaching into his pocket from what had been there all along. Mei noticed there was an unusually soft look on his face, with the slightest curve of a smile. It was that same nervous feeling from when she had thought to invite him out those weeks ago, her heart hopping around in her chest while fully knowing words will betray her. 

"For you, Kitten." She subconsciously held her breath as she took the box carefully from him. She couldn't trust herself, when their hands had casually brushed, to act as though that look on his face did nothing to her. 

"You first." He nodded nonchalantly at her comment, the two moving to sit down on the couch with their respective gifts. First he pulled from the bag a carefully knitted grey scarf, a shade of which only Mei knew she chose because it was the same as his eyes. The pattern looked a bit complex as he draped it over the back of his neck for temporary safe keeping. He came to notice just how soft the yarn she had chosen was, even though it looked like it'd be any other cotton material. Next, as he pulled the second item from the bag he immediately turned his face away from her, covering his mouth with his hand. "What?"

"It's not that I don't like it, truly but.." He stared down at the decent-sized knitted black cat stuffed animal in his hands, the two eyes being just thread circles, one red and one blue. He once again accidently let a chuckle slip through. 

Though Mei just grinned a bit herself, "It's for when you're oh-so-lonely so that you don't have to bother me."

His laughing died down as he tried to muster a glare, even a disappointed glance, only for it to just be an amused roll of the eyes. "Very funny. But still, it's cute. Can't replace the real thing though, so I'm afraid your plan won't work, Kitten~"

It was her turn to roll her eyes playfully as she now had his full attention, waiting for her to open the box in her hands. She did so, if only to distract herself from his eager look, only to be taken aback a bit by its contents. It was a silver locket, there were a few engraved entwining designs around the edge and at six of the major intersections there were tiny stones set into place, alternating between red and blue. How he even found such a thing was beyond her, but she could only hope that the feeling of blood rushing to her head wasn't accompanied by some sort of blush at receiving jewelry in general from the man sitting across from her. Of course she had no such luck but he didn't feel like pointing it out. "..Thank you."

She caught his eye, a genuine small smile hanging loosely on his lips as he looked at her slightly embarrassed expression. "Thank you too, Mei."

She looked up, a bit shocked at the use of her name. Though he hadn't noticed, she suppressed the start of a shiver from going down her spine at his tone. 'Ah, this isn't good..at the rate I'll-' Her thoughts halted a bit as her eyes caught the sight of a slightly more heavy flurry outside the barely opened curtains. Though that much is all that it took for it to freeze overnight and get slick outside, isn't that right? A bit of wind rattled the window just enough in the silence to distract her from her own thoughts, prompting her to get up casually and carefully place the necklace back in the box. 

"I don't know about you, but dealing with people today made me ridiculously tired, think we can go to bed?" She stretched her arms above her head, letting the usual fatigue that she suppressed constantly wash over her a little so that it wasn't a complete lie. She could see it in the way that calm smile dropped back into his nonchalant poker face that he didn't believe her for a second, yet his eyes weren't any less gentle. As they fell asleep, Mei was left wondering for a little while before she drifted off just when it became so natural and comfortable for him to look at her like that.